Any resources for "out of camera" to end grade on big features?

I'd imagine that the various VFX websites would be the best source, if you're looking to see how a shot has been digitally altered or composited. If it's just the color grade that you're interested in, I'm not sure what you'd learn from comparing the finished movie with a LOG or RAW file.

Closest thing I could answer with is this link featuring multiple before/afters, one of which includes a sample from the feature "Transporter 2"

http://www.crowboy.com/evilgenius/videoarticle_premiere.html

A step to take past this article is looking up films shot digitally with "color grading" after it. Or look up color graders with sizable portfolios in the digital era with the phrase "before and after" next to them.

• Premium Member

A lot of those before and after demos are misleading because the implication is that the footage is being "saved" from being washed-out, faded, etc. when the "before" is simply a log image. It would be like showing you a photo of a film negative with its orange color mask and inverted colors and suggesting that the corrected positive was some major improvement over the original.

It would be more useful, if the goal was to learn about color-correcting, for the "before" to already have a basic log-to-Rec.709 LUT applied so you can more easily see where they are going from to get the final, knowing that they are pulling information up from the log original for the high and low-end detail.

Chris Hall does a great little series on grading, where he touches on multiple techniques, talks about the whats and whys and you can really see how he takes footage (both good and bad) and works with it in Resolve, though the techniques should work in any grading program.. Check it out.

http://chrishallcolor.blogspot.com/