What gel does this look like?

Hi everyone

Im struggling with moonlight color for a long time.

Neither CTB or 183 are what I want.

When I set color temperature at 4300, Full CTB has a harsh blue. 1/2 CTB is pretty white. 183 is too green.

I know we can to color grade in post but I still want to find a beautiful moonlight gel during shooting.

Recently I realized the moonlight color in Bates Hotel is exactly what I want. So I wonder anyone knows what gel it use for the moonlight.

Thank you

post-70374-0-85654200-1464546366_thumb.png

• Premium Member

Full CTB with the camera set to 4300K should be a half-blue color, not harsh nor heavy. But keep in mind that color saturation plays a part in this, and a gel can't really dial down the chroma in your camera. You may find that the problem isn't the gel, just your color saturation level, particularly for the blue channel.

I don't know what "Bates Motel" uses but this looks cyan, like 1/2 CTB + 1/4 Plus Green, or Cyan 60 but with the saturation dialed down.

• Upvote 1

Full CTB with the camera set to 4300K should be a half-blue color, not harsh nor heavy. But keep in mind that color saturation plays a part in this, and a gel can't really dial down the chroma in your camera. You may find that the problem isn't the gel, just your color saturation level, particularly for the blue channel.

I don't know what "Bates Motel" uses but this looks cyan, like 1/2 CTB + 1/4 Plus Green, or Cyan 60 but with the saturation dialed down.

Thank you so much