FS7 + fujinon 19-90mm usability

Hello everybody,

I'll be shooting a documentary soon and I'll only have one day for camera testing. I've used the 19-90 on an Amira and adored the glass.

This time, the budget is a bit lower, but I've managed to squeeze in a 19-90mm along with a FS7 camera.

I wanted to know from all the colleagues here if any of you have used the 19-90mm on the FS7 via a E-mout to PL adapter.

Most important: How's the ergonomics of such a package for handheld work?

Any heads up that I should know before hand? Any accessories that'll make my life easier?

Thanks for any info and have a great day!

• Premium Member

I haven't used the combination directly, but it strikes me it'd be very front-heavy. However, there's probably not much other choice.

Get some big, solid batteries to put on the back and ensure the FS7 has the ProRes module on it, even if you won't use it - it makes the thing longer and easier to balance.

Also, I wouldn't trust the E mount to support that lens. Get supports and a sturdy rod system.

• Upvote 1

I haven't used the combination directly, but it strikes me it'd be very front-heavy. However, there's probably not much other choice.

Get some big, solid batteries to put on the back and ensure the FS7 has the ProRes module on it, even if you won't use it - it makes the thing longer and easier to balance.

Also, I wouldn't trust the E mount to support that lens. Get supports and a sturdy rod system.

Thanks Phil. A baseplate with a shoulder pad, along with a 15mm rod system is in the lost already. The V-mount battery is a great tip. I'll add it as well. Thanks so much!

As far as I know,the only base plate/shoulder pad that will get the camera back far enough is the zacuto universal base plate.. the others you cant physically get the body back far enough.. the balance point is basically under the lens mount now.. def get rods and support ..E mount is not really made for these big zooms.. actually a stills mount I believe ..

On an F5/55,Im sure the Fs7 is the same.. you could adjust one of the tiny switches at the front of the hand grip (under a rubber flap) to get all lens info in the VF.. with the camera menu setting set for Lens type C..(Cook).. (it could be A I cant remember exactly,only 2 choices anyway).. but it can be done for sure..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

+1.. good point.. the whole VF mount is a very poor design on the Fs7.. very easy to lose the horizon.. almost unbelievably bad design.. .. either Zacuto ,axis mini or Vocus do good alternatives.. and some others out there too..just about anything is better.. and something like the Gratical EYE with it .. you will have as good as set up as Amira or Alexa in the VF department ..

Fs7 like the F5/55 will not playback with a monitor LUT for any off speed shots.. if thats a problem get a monitor that has LUT,s built in.. most do now.. not wanting to sound like a broken record..but.. it sounds like an F5 would be a better choice for the 19-90.. PL mount..he contacts for all VF info display.. way better VF.. either LCD or OLED..V mount..and all the TC i/o /BNC ports, without the need of the ext unit of the Fs7.. and external LCD panel,like the Amira..lacking in the Fs7.. for quick menu changes.. and general ease of use under pressure ..

Edited by Robin R Probyn
  • Upvote 1

Joao,

I use the FS-7 quite a bit and sometimes have to go handheld. If I'm using it shoulder mount I often use it with a Zeiss still prime or the kit zoom. What I've found is that because the body is so light I often have trouble balancing that camera on my shoulder, even with an Element Technica shoulder mount. It gets to be too difficult to hold steady after 10 minutes. In contrast, the Amira body is very heavy and balances better, even with a larger lens. The Amira shoulder plate also slides pretty far forward.

I might recommend that you stick with the Sony kit lens, just for weight purposes. If you add a large battery on the back of the camera that should help balance things out. You'll need a third party shoulder rest to move the shoulder rest much further forward than the one built into the camera body.

The other problem you'll have is that the EVF cable may not be long enough given the very long optical "tube" that's required to use the LCD as an EVF. The only solution here is to move to a third party, such as the aforementioned Zacuto product. I don't know anyone making a Sony specific extension cable.

For the E-mount to PL conversion, MTF services makes a good product, however you'll need LW 15mm rods to support the adapter since the PL lens is too heavy for the E-mount to handle. Again, you may be better off using the Sony kit lens, even though in my experience the Sony kit lens isn't "perfect" and it's a bit "slow". However the kit lens also has optical image stabilization which may help when you get tired.

You'll need more than one day to kit up the camera properly, unless your rental house is very well stocked with the necessary accessories and you do it at their premises. The Amira is ready to operate out of the box, whereas the FS-7 really isn't.

Stuart Allman

----------------------

illuma.blogspot.com

• Premium Member

Couldn't agree more. That said it is going to be incredibly hard to balance. If you do it solely by moving the whole rig back on a shoulder mount, your right hand is going to be back by your ear. You'll want to do anything you can to add weight to the back of it and move that weight as far back as possible - definitely the ProRes module, and stack a couple of V-loks on there. Some baseplates may let you put rods on the back, on which you can mount a battery plate, which allows you to put the batteries as far back as necessary without just having to add them as ballast, and without needing the ProRes module. Watch out for rigidity issues, though.

If you can stand the stop (and quality) loss, there are probably adaptors or combinations thereof that'd let you put a B4 broadcast lens on it. Not nearly as good as the Fuji optically, of course, but probably lighter and cheaper. But also sticking out further because of the adaptors...

You'll have to try it.

• Premium Member

Couldn't agree more. That said it is going to be incredibly hard to balance. If you do it solely by moving the whole rig back on a shoulder mount, your right hand is going to be back by your ear. You'll want to do anything you can to add weight to the back of it and move that weight as far back as possible - definitely the ProRes module, and stack a couple of V-loks on there. Some baseplates may let you put rods on the back, on which you can mount a battery plate, which allows you to put the batteries as far back as necessary without just having to add them as ballast, and without needing the ProRes module. Watch out for rigidity issues, though.

If you can stand the stop (and quality) loss, there are probably adaptors or combinations thereof that'd let you put a B4 broadcast lens on it. Not nearly as good as the Fuji optically, of course, but probably lighter and cheaper. But also sticking out further because of the adaptors...

You'll have to try it.

Yes with the fs7 def going to need the ext module and as big as V mount as you can.. yes your right hand on the zoom control will be back farther than normal.. has to be to get balance.. the lesser of evils really.. front heavy will kill you very quickly..! the big problem with using these zooms for doc work that I have found,is the weight.. as Stuart points out... but thats the trade off.. compared to cheap,fly by wire,not wide,T4, light weight zooms.. the only answer I have found is an easy rig.. alot of doc DP,s using Cab,s CN7 have gone this route.. only way to save your back if alot of hand held work.. short shots you dont need it.. but HH intense shoots its a must have.. i