New lenses on the ACL

Carl Nenzen Loven

Hi everyone,

Like a few on this forum I am a student filmmaker, trying to get the most for the least amount of money as always. Luckily the ACL-mount leaves some wiggle room when it comes to the lenses you can buy.

So I hav decided to go with Nikon F-mount, but I want to fit modern lenses. Now I have found a company that converts the Sigma 18-35 F 1.8 (which has gotten good reviews) to a fully manual lens, with aperture control. But that only gets me so far.

The 18mm lens would be an effective 35-36 since the S16 crop so I am trying to cover the rest of the focal lengths.

Now I have an idea, purchasing a Tokina 11-20 F2.8 (T3) and use that. But since this is a modern DX lens, it will not allow for altering the aperture. Now the solution here that I am thinking is just getting a very good variable ND and shooting at 2.8 constantly for wide shots. There should not be too much focus pulling anyways.

But maybe someone here could shine some more light on my problem.

I really really love the 18-35 though, hence I was pretty quick choosing the Nikon mount...

C

Having a lens that only shoots wide open is too limiting, it will make your shooting a nightmare Why not try to find a proper S16 zoom...some of the zeiss S16 zooms come up for quite reasonable sums.

Hi Carl,

before buying new stuff, why don't you just start with your Angenieux 9,5-57mm, get used to it,

and then find out your needs beyond this lens. I use my Nikkor lenses for telephoto only, too limited on the wide side.

Have fun,

Volker

The feature I shot last year, I shot mostly on a Cooke 20-100 and an Optar 9.5 as my wide angle lens. It worked out perfect. Wide open, we didn't have softness or any other artifacts on the Cooke lens.

Hi Carl,

before buying new stuff, why don't you just start with your Angenieux 9,5-57mm, get used to it,

and then find out your needs beyond this lens. I use my Nikkor lenses for telephoto only, too limited on the wide side.

Have fun,

Volker

Hi Volker,

I am not planning skip using the 9-57. It is more of a future plans. Since money is tight investments should be planned like 8 months ahead ?

C

The feature I shot last year, I shot mostly on a Cooke 20-100 and an Optar 9.5 as my wide angle lens. It worked out perfect. Wide open, we didn't have softness or any other artifacts on the Cooke lens.

I found someone that modifies the Tokina 11-20 to full manual as well.

It is T3.1 but still a decent lens. So I might go for that.

C

Aperture controls a lot more than just exposure. It directly correlates to the depth of field and general look of your image. Locking it in place is really tying your hand behind your back.

I agree that it would be much smarter to get a decent 16mm zoom rather than trying to convert some stills lenses for use with a 16mm camera. If you were shooting Super-16 then your choices would be more limited, but in regular 16mm there is a great variety of choices. I suggest you look into a Zeiss 10-100 zoom or try to find a good Angenieux 9.5-57 HEC. Right tool for the right job.

• 2 months later...

Howabout Rokinon/Samyang lenses in Nikon mount? You can get 10mm, 16mm, 24mm etc , manual aperture, inexpensive, and will certainly cover Super 16. But Mitch is right, a proper cine zoom will be better for a lot of reasons

The biggest problem I see with these lenses in addition to mechanical issues is that they are so slow. It's not a problem for digital cinema cameras with native asa of 800 but with 16mm film faster lenses certainly defend their place.

The last piece I was shooting involved some low light scenes in an old industrial building during daytime. We didn't have much time or budget for lighting, so most of the stuff was a combination of natural light and one HMI. We shot on 500T without filters. Because of this f2.8 was luxury, most of the time the aperture was between f2 and f2.8, at times even between f1.3 and f2.

For that project we used rented Optar Illuminas (PL), quite nice quality though soft wide open.

After that experience I find it difficult to even think about slower lenses. Which is a good thing, as it keeps me from buying any lenses. I already own a mixed set of Kern Switars (10mm and 16mm) and Contax Zeiss (28mm and 50mm) and three out of those four have apertures larger than f2. Switars aren't the most optimal lenses for smooth focusing during a take, but they are very lightweight, quite sharp and definitely faster than Rokinons, cine zooms and many cheaper modern wider end lenses.

Edited by Heikki Repo

The biggest problem I see with these lenses in addition to mechanical issues is that they are so slow. It's not a problem for digital cinema cameras with native asa of 800 but with 16mm film faster lenses certainly defend their place.

The last piece I was shooting involved some low light scenes in an old industrial building during daytime. We didn't have much time or budget for lighting, so most of the stuff was a combination of natural light and one HMI. We shot on 500T without filters. Because of this f2.8 was luxury, most of the time the aperture was between f2 and f2.8, at times even between f1.3 and f2.

For that project we used rented Optar Illuminas (PL), quite nice quality though soft wide open.

After that experience I find it difficult to even think about slower lenses. Which is a good thing, as it keeps me from buying any lenses. I already own a mixed set of Kern Switars (10mm and 16mm) and Contax Zeiss (28mm and 50mm) and three out of those four have apertures larger than f2. Switars aren't the most optimal lenses for smooth focusing during a take, but they are very lightweight, quite sharp and definitely faster than Rokinons, cine zooms and many cheaper modern wider end lenses.

So I am trying to figure out if there is anyone that has shoot on this that I can look at.

I have a really good lens maker that could probably convert 2 switars for a good price to make them cine-worthy (PL-mount and bigger barrel). I am just curious how the sharpness turn out and afraid of differention in color.

C

I think Switars are all C mount, so there would be no way to use them on PL mount as the flange distance is too short.

They would fit directly on the ACL though. You could try a large diameter focus gear to help with focus pulls.

I too would like to see how they perform wide open or around T2

Edited by JB Earl

I think Switars are all C mount, so there would be no way to use them on PL mount as the flange distance is too short.

They would fit directly on the ACL though. You could try a large diameter focus gear to help with focus pulls.

I too would like to see how they perform wide open or around T2

Then maybe my lens maker is lying, but he actually confirmed there is no issue for him to convert the C-mount to a PL. He actually manufactures new housing for the lens and has been converting lenses since mid-70s so maybe he the new housing can fit the distance...

C

I doubt he's lying. I'm surmising here: If he is rehousing perhaps he is recessing the lens elements deeply inside the PL mount ( if they are small enough in diameter) I imagine it would be an expensive proposition.

Any optical experts here that can weigh in?

Edited by JB Earl

I doubt he's lying. I'm surmising here: If he is rehousing perhaps he is recessing the lens elements deeply inside the PL mount ( if they are small enough in diameter) I imagine it would be an expensive proposition.

Any optical experts here that can weigh in?

Well it isn't cheap. But for a fully funtional F1.6 lens it is a good deal, 1500 dollars in fact.

C

Hi Carl,

the Switars are nice lenses, no doubt. I've got the 10/26and 50mm on the turret of my BOLEX and love them.

But for your ACL you should also consider ZEISS super speeds in ARRI bayonet mount, ready to use.

With a little bit of luck you might even get two of them, 1,2/9,5 plus 1,2/12 or 16 or 25mm at the price of one modified Switar.

Good luck,

Volker

Hi again,

for the Distagon super speed 1,2/9,5mm there is an Aspheron pre lens which makes it a super wide 5,6mm.

I have that one and it's sharp and free of distortion, but tricky with reflections.

I can also use it with the Vario-Sonnar 2/11-110mm, makes it a fix 6mm, no zooming.

Volker.

Carl, you should be able to find a set of Schneider primes in Arri-S quite cheap. These can look really good, just not as sharp as Zeiss.

Also Cooke Kinetals in Arri-S.

MKI Zeiss superspeeds in Arri-B mount may still be not too expensive if you look hard.

What mount adapters do you have for your ACL? I think the Arri-B one will also take Arri-S, though there are separate adapters for S and B.

Rehousing the switars sounds like an odd solution. I would not go that way unless it had worked technically and financially for someone else. I think you would want to try the lenses yourself before you committed to that.