History of the Rosco Cinegel Storaro Selection

I was wondering how is it that these gels came to be? When did Rosco decide to ask Storaro to create them? And why did Storaro choose precisely these ten colours?

How much has Storaro himself used the gels?

Are there any particular instances of striking use of one or several of these gels?

https://www.rosco.com/filters/cinegel.cfm?CategoryID=5

Why not call or email Rosco? They will get you an answer.

Excerpt from his IMDB page:

As a cinematographer, he is highly innovative. He had Rosco International fabricate a series of custom color gels for his lighting, which he used to implement his theories about emotional response to color. The "Storaro Selection" of color gels is available for other cinematographers from Rosco.

I would if I thought they knew the answer. I’m sure they’d know why they asked him, but would they know why he chose those ten colours or which scenes or films showcase the look these gels images give particularly well? This being Storaro, I thought there was a nice little story and philosophy behind all of this.

I believe Storaro talks in detail about his philosophy regarding the emotional qualities of various colors in his book 'Writing with Light'. If you can find a copy of that, it may well explain why he chose the colors he did for the Storaro collection. The book is extremely expensive, but you may be able to find a copy at a library.

• Premium Member

I believe Storaro talks in detail about his philosophy regarding the emotional qualities of various colors in his book 'Writing with Light'. If you can find a copy of that, it may well explain why he chose the colors he did for the Storaro collection. The book is extremely expensive, but you may be able to find a copy at a library.

I got mine at the ASC and it was worth every penny. With the exceptions of Cyan, Magenta & Azure (he talks about Black, Grey & White instead,) he discusses the different histories, meanings and philosophies of the other seven colors in great detail. As you are a great admirer of his work, Alexandros, I think you would find it a very worthwhile purchase.