Reel 2016

Hi everybody,

Just released a new version of my showreel.

Would like you're thoughts on it!

First post on the forum so a little "About Me".

I'm Stef Kwinten (1998), born and living in a small town in the Netherlands, working as a freelance cinematographer. Shooting mostly music video and short films.

Thanks for your time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's a cool reel. Nice to know there are more young cinematographers around here. I would suggest you change from 'director of photography' to 'cinematographer' (I think it looks cooler, although both are correct) at the beginning, and maybe include the date of your reel as well.

Keep up with the good work!

Hey Stef, nice work!

I just felt the grain have been used like a ~signature of your work, not exactly as a narrative component.

Ok, music videos are very visuals, but I don't know if (almost) everything with the same look is a good thing for you.

...and, I would love to have a gif of 0:20 scene. What a great shot.

Thanks guys!

@Daniel, in Holland more people know the term "DOP" faster then "Cinematographer", that's the reason why I made the choice to use this one haha!

@Shawn, The grain is done in post, most of the projects I worked together with a director who likes grain a lot (So do I haha), that's the reason why we made our own kind of "preset" for a clean and dirty grain. So everytime a project is at the colorist, we know that the grain he's going to apply is the grain we like (Sometimes we don't like it ofcourse, has to fit the project)

@Luiz, The grain is indeed in most visual projects like music video's or visual shorts a signature. Funny thing is, the projects planned and the most recent shot projects (not involved in the reel yet) are the ones without grain and are very clean, even some blown out highlights. For the reel I choosed to pick the shots I get the most reactions on, and those are mostly my moody, grainy dark shots.

Again, thanks everybody for you reactions, some things to think about! :-)

Edited by Stef Kwinten