What are Video Dailies & Kodak Keykode?

danny bartle

hi all,

sorry for the silly question but what exactly are video dailies? Also what is Kodak Keykode?

Are dailies basically low grade telecine of the processed film onto dvd, vhs, etc or is it video from the video assist on a film camera?

The reason i ask is i've been shooting a fair bit of 16mm neg film lately & my actual usage ratio varies a fair bit (i'm shooting surfing so not all shots are keepers) To save money by not getting everything high grade telecined, am i better off economically getting all the neg film low grade telecined onto dvd or vhs with some type of timecode which matches the neg? Is that what Kodak Keykode is?

Hope this all makes sense...

hi all,

sorry for the silly question but what exactly are video dailies? Also what is Kodak Keykode?

Are dailies basically low grade telecine of the processed film onto dvd, vhs, etc or is it video from the video assist on a film camera?

The reason i ask is i've been shooting a fair bit of 16mm neg film lately & my actual usage ratio varies a fair bit (i'm shooting surfing so not all shots are keepers) To save money by not getting everything high grade telecined, am i better off economically getting all the neg film low grade telecined onto dvd or vhs with some type of timecode which matches the neg? Is that what Kodak Keykode is?

Hope this all makes sense...

Hi there,

Video dailies are telecine of your footage for your viewing, just like film dailies to be projected for viewing. They may be minimally graded or not at all graded.

Keycode is the barcoding of the edge fo 16mm and 35mm film that can be read by a telecine machine and used to identify each individual frame. I think that Kodachrome 40 in 16mm is the only emulsion not to have keycode.

Matt

• Premium Member

Film usually has an edgecode at regular intervals to allow negative conforming to an edit; keycode is just a machine-readable barcode version also on the film at regular intervals. It's not the same as timecode, Arricode, Aatoncode. Usually video dailies for NLE will have timecode and keycode information burned into windows on the image, unless you want the info to be hidden.

Video dailies can be as cheap and low-quality as you want -- it all depends on (1) if you can live with any inaccuracies in how they look, or if that will just worry you too much (you could be misled about what you have on the negative if the dailies are too far off); (2) if these transfers will be used for a final video online, or are just for the purpose of creating an EDL and a later, better video transfer will be done of the final product. If the transfers will be the basis of the final master, the quality should be much better.