Lost equipment - cost?

If your offer to replace it yourself is refused, then you've shot their fox- they don't want a replacement, they want the $50.....and they will buy one for 99¢ just as you or I would.

The lesson you learn may be worth $50 in the long run though.

Yeah, true. I would not do the same job again under the same working conditions.

Would they accept the middle ground of you just buying a lens cap (probably way less than $50) and just giving it to them as a replacement?

We've been over that. They don't want the replacement, they want the $50.

We've been over that. They don't want the replacement, they want the $50.

Ugh, dealing with that situation on eBay right now as well. Flee the country I'm on board with being mean to China now.

Edited by Macks Fiiod

Yeah, China is a special place to work in. No unions, no insurances, no regulations (that anyone follows anyway)... The only real language people understand here is money.

Holy geez sounds like the deal of the century where do I sign up?

R,

If they don't want the lens cap, then they don't care about the lens cap - they care about making $45 in profit off of a mistake. Honestly, if a company pulled that - it would be the last time I worked for them. I'd also be very vocal about my treatment to anyone who will listen.

Personally, I wouldn't care about burning a bridge with them - seeing as they want to cheat me, who knows what they would pull next time.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member

that 45$ attitude is very common in eBay, I usually try to take this into account when dealing with Chinese sellers. trying to find a solution which is equally good for me but costs them less money so they would probably choose that option. And keeping in mind that I may lose contact with them if they think I'm not a valuable customer for them anymore, so always giving an impression that there was a error in post office /packaging department which was not their fault and they can easily correct it and resolve it later with the faulty department/post office etc. and I will surely order more stuff later if they just resolve this one misunderstanding :lol:

overcharging for damaged/lost equipment is not uncommon here either but quite rare, can happen with private owners but usually not with rental houses. the most common way is that they charge the full retail price for missing equipment (price of a new item, not a heavily used one like the missing item was) and never buy a new one, just leaving it off the kit entirely if it's not absolutely needed. Thus they don't get 45$, they will get full 50$ for a item worth maybe 20-30$ or so.

I believe that's what the Chinese company is intending to do :rolleyes:

overcharging for damaged/lost equipment is not uncommon here either but quite rare, can happen with private owners but usually not with rental houses. the most common way is that they charge the full retail price for missing equipment (price of a new item, not a heavily used one like the missing item was) and never buy a new one, just leaving it off the kit entirely if it's not absolutely needed. Thus they don't get 45$, they will get full 50$ for a item worth maybe 20-30$ or so.

I believe that's what the Chinese company is intending to do :rolleyes:

The fact that a lost item is used doesn't reduce the cost of replacement. Do you expect the rental house to replace the lost part with another used part? The part might be hard to source and someone has to pay for the time spent finding a supplier and the shipping costs as well. So it's not uncommon to pay: replacement cost plus shipping and an inconvenience fee.

The $50 lens cap is likely outright thievery.

Besides the obvious rip off price.. its the principle.. as the OP states.. the job was under staffed.. and running around all day.. thats why a small cheap item like a lens cap gets lost.. its the prod co,s fault in the first place ! .. and then they pull this trick.. but its indicative of how employee,s are treated in Asia.. obviously a much bigger discussion not for here.. but it just beggars belief they think they can do this..