HD Slow Motion Shooting.

What about changing the shutter speed to assist with the faster frame rate? Is it really still high quality if your DSLR cuts the recording resolution down to 720p?

Those are some questions to give more depth to your tutorial video.

• Premium Member

Rent a camera that shoots at the framerates you require for the shot. There are some relatively cheap digital cameras like the iPhone 6 and Sony A7s that will shoot 120fps. The Sony FS700 will do 240fps at HD resolution. There may be newer or cheaper options that will record at comparable frame rates as well. Make sure you have enough light to get the required exposure and use flicker-free lighting units. Watch out for flicker above 60fps. Anything else is going to be a compromise.

• Upvote 1

The Sony RX10Mk2 and RX100 mk4 - both shoot decent quality 240fps footage. Both comparable to the SonyFS700 - but in a much cheaper camera. The biggest issue is a much shorter buffer time - its about 2-3 seconds vs 10 seconds on the FS700.

These days slowmo is affordable in-camera, so you don't really need to use post production slowmo. My local camera hire company rents the Rx100 at £43 per day and thats affordable enough for me to hire in when I need the effect.

I've experimented with shooting 60fps and then using various post production tools for slowmo and its too hit and miss to use on regular production. Some shots will look great, but then you'll get something that confuses the algorithm and creates lots of warping artifacts. Normally its shots with lots of complexity that fool the software: rain, water splash, leaves, confetti - the complexity that looks great in slowmo, ruins the shot.

When you see great shots slowed down in post - your only seeing the ones that work, they may have had to bin a bunch of others. So for the odd shot optical flow effects might do the job, but on a paid job I'd hire a different camera.

That said the sony cameras at the affordable end are still compromised - since they compress the video quite a lot.

For a real high quality slowmo solution you need to look cameras that can do high framerates at lower compression levels e.g Red Epic, Varicam, F55 etc...

Also depends on the speed of slowmo you require sometimes 60fps is enough to get the job done. I've shot stuff at 240 that I ended up speeding up in post cos it was too slow at times. Really depends what your trying to archive. I once did a music video at 30fps - for a real subtle slowmo effect when played back at 25fps -technically slowmo, but most people didn't notice it.