Camera Recomendation

Mark Day

So, can anyone suggest a good "entry" level camera that doesn't cost a fortune? I'm talking $3K or less for camera alone. I've been looking at Blackmagic, but I see mixed reviews here. I'm not new to digital photography and I've done a little film work, but it appears digital is the way to go. Like I said, $3K or less and 2.5K resolution. 4K would be optimal, but it appears those would be out of my budget.

Thanks.

Well, I really like doing nature. Not in a documentary style, but just subject matter with background tracks. I realize that this is going to require a rather expensive telephoto lens. I'd like 4K if I can afford it, but I think 2.5K could be good. Or not. I don't know.

• Premium Member

Most of the blackmagic stuff is fine.The 4K doesn't have the dynamic range or low noise of the 2.5, but that's reasonable - it's not a bad camera.

At that price level you're looking at Blackmagic, or a DSLR from Canon, Sony or Panasonic.

Also look at JVC - they're cruelly overlooked.

P

• Premium Member

Well, I really like doing nature. Not in a documentary style, but just subject matter with background tracks. I realize that this is going to require a rather expensive telephoto lens. I'd like 4K if I can afford it, but I think 2.5K could be good. Or not. I don't know.

So the next question is; who will be seeing your videos? What is the highest form of distribution (if any) do you expect?

You'd really rather want a Blackmagic over a DSLR. The image quality is on another level. It's all in the detail and dynamic range. I've shot on 5d2, 7d and now the BMC2,5. If you can afford it, I would also look at the a7s2, which has the internal stabilizer and 4k@100mbps. I'd take that over the BMC.

Blackmagic has had huge problems with their sensors and customer support. I would not really feel comfortable buying a URSA mini myself. My BMC also shows some problems in lowlight at 1600iso. No problems at 800 though.

As already stated, it boils down to use.