ROSCO painting vs. HATO paintings for green screen studio

Hi everyone!

I currently live in Milan and I'm working on a project that involves a huge green screen. We need to convert a room of 26x13 ft. into a green screen studio. I was doing some research online, looking for paintings to use, and I found two main brands of green screen paintings: ROSCO (US) and HATO (Germany). There is a very big difference of prizing between them and I was wondering if you could help me understand why? For example, in amazon.it you can find one gallon of ROSCO for 320EUR (. The gallon of HATO paintings costs around 92EUR. I don't know if this is because HATO is made in Germany and is near Italy so it costs less?

Do you know any about quality differences between this two types of paintings?

Do you recommend something specific? Maybe another brand that I didn't find on my research?

If you have any advices on how to paint the room in order to make it work perfectly I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!!

• Premium Member

in Finland it costs, depending on where you purchase it from, something like 100€/gallon plus VAT and it is in EU so the huge price difference must be due to shipping costs. the Amazon.it may have some non-ideal shipping calculated in price or it may just be a rip-off. Like when they are selling Cinefoil here in Finland for 5 - 10x the price that Thomann charges for a roll of the same stuff :blink:

• Premium Member

when they are selling Cinefoil here in Finland for 5 - 10x the price that Thomann charges for a roll of the same stuff :blink:

the expensive version includes the cardboard box of course. if you don't need it you can as well use the cheaper option :lol: http://www.thomann.de/gb/rosco_cinefoil_mattschwarz_61x762_cm.htm?ref=search_rslt_cinefoil_147420_0

• Premium Member

never used the HATO paint, here they normally use either Rosco or if on budget or making temporary painting they can use cheaper household paints and mix them to get the right color. that works actually quite well if you have time to experiment with it, if you are making student films it is good to have the option to repaint the surfaces if needed without breaking the budget and you can also make temporary stuff from kapaboard or cardboard etc. , like boxes and planes, to assist shooting

• Premium Member

There is often a certain fashionability tax applied to US imported film equipment. You can get 24x36 solids for <$50 in Los Angeles. Here it's three or four times that.

This cannot be entirely dismissed as a tax and shipping issue.

P

The only two good things about the Rosco paint is that it is dead flat and that it can be diluted with water a fair amount to stretch it. Other than that, save yourself some money and take a swatch of chroma green and have it matched into the cheapest flat acrylic paint you can find. If the paint is shiny in any way, add a small amount of water, that will knock the sheen down. If you don't know what you are doing, name brand or niche paints can rip you off. Really no need to pay that much. Buy local. Get enough to do at least two coats or three.