davide sorasio

"conversion" from bitdepth to color sampling and data rate

Hello everybody, weird question here, I hope it's not too confusing. I'm using a Small HD AC7 wich is a 8 bit monitor. I am sending to it a 422 1.5G signal from the Arri Amira, and everything is kk, but I could not see an image when trying to send 444 3G. I understand the basis of color sampling, what i cannot understand is the passage from knowing my bitdepth to understanding the data rate and color sampling a monitor is capable of handling. In simplier words, is there a way I could have known that having a 8bit monitor I could not send a 444 image through sdi?

Most monitors are 1.5G 8 bit 422 and they can't accept 3G 10 bit 444.

Having setup many post production facilities before, unless a monitor is advertised to accept 3G 444, it most likely doesn't. It's a totally different class of electronics necessary.

• Upvote 1

Most monitors are 1.5G 8 bit 422 and they can't accept 3G 10 bit 444.

Having setup many post production facilities before, unless a monitor is advertised to accept 3G 444, it most likely doesn't. It's a totally different class of electronics necessary.

Thanks a lot Tyler! One last thing, from my previous post, how do you know that 10bit is 444 3G? Is there anything like 422 10 bit?

Well, you don't really know unless you're in the menu checking out what the camera is set for.

The Alexa can down sample to 422 no problem and MOST monitors will accept 10 bit 422 as an HDSDI source, even when converted to HDSDI or DVI. It's only when dealing with 444 that things become really sticky.