Underslug Chapman CL Slider/ Large Offset Possibilities

Marz Miller

Hey there,

I have a shoot coming up where the director wants a long slow dolly in right along the ground, just a few inches above the soil. Its a one take teaster and so the move will last about a minute to 1:30.

It will be ext. day and we'll be in a rather remote location, or remote enough at least to make having our dolly impossible.

This particular shot will be with a 27mm lens, on an Arricam ST.

Im a big fan of Chapman sliders and would like to use one (unless anyone has a better idea!) I'm wondering if by underslinging the camera I can get the move I want and avoid seeing my slider. 6ft forward movement is what I'm limited to for CL sliders.

I don't know if an offset to the side of a slider would be sturdy enough. I feel as if the FOV of the lens requirs a large offset to not see the slider.

Thoughts?

Or if anyone has a piece of equipment that could get me a longer move.

Cheers,

- M

• Premium Member

I would worry about seeing the slider on a 6' move. Also, not sure how you would rig it and not see the combo stand at the end.

A Dana Dolly with the head underslung would give you an option for a longer move but would potentially have the same problems.

If you can get a crane or a jib into the location, that might be best. Or Steadicam in low mode.

• Premium Member

Last thought - dig a trench for the length of the move, place the slider in it and wrap it up with Bag Its. Then dress the ground in front of the lens with 2' sections of plywood covered in dirt and leaves. As the camera slowly trucks in, have two grips slide the 2' sections out of the way as they disappear off camera.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe something like this? But nice slow creeps on a slider are a bit of a nuisance. Try and take a dolly if you can:)

Hi Marz,

My best bet would be a setup like Kim showed in his picture. We do manufacture our TwinDolly with Twintubes with a unsupported lenght of 10 ft, ready to be used underslung which could do the job easily.

elseway a DanaDolly with 10ft tubes would do the job as well although it will have a lot of deflection and tordation while tracking.

Good luck,

Onno