Camcorder Help

Hello,

As part of a small documentary project I am working on we are looking to purchase a HD camcorder. One of those news and TV cameras such as those found in the link below -

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=lp_239390011_st?rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A%2113900861%2Cn%3A%212334090011%2Cn%3A%212334152011%2Cn%3A239390011&qid=1465990912&sort=price-asc-rank

Any suggestions on what I should look for while choosing such a camera ?

Also any professional HD quality camcorder that you recommend around 800 pounds ?

Just my humble opinion,

First things first. I would suggest you don't buy a MiniDV camera right now. HD technology has changed substantially pretty fast, so go for a digital format, SDs and CF cards are much better/cheaper. They will save you some trouble/give you better quality image. (if it's your intention to buy a MiniDV then don't mind me).

Picking a camera is complicated, there are many things you have to consider (format, compression, sensor size, low-light performance, ease of use, etc it all depends on you). However, for the price you're saying, I'd say two pretty nice/versatile HD camcorders are the Canon HF G20, and the XA 20 (this one's a little over your budget though, but it's newer, has better audio quality, and a slightly better chip). These cameras feature:

small size

good quality HD image

10x zoom

extra batteries can be bought cheap if you're planning to shoot for long periods

take two SD cards, so you don't have to be changing constantly

32gb internal memory (don't rely only on this though)

microphone input (the XA supports XLRs)

Nice LCD/electronic viewfinder

Nice focus ring

You can shoot 24, 30, 60p

Just remember these are prosumer camcorders, if you want something professional, I'd say you'd have to go for at least $1500

Best of luck!