New Film for distribution (Vampire Resurrection)

Mark Williams

I have completed my first full length feature There has been some interest but still looking for distribution.

I have 3 other films in development with one ready for pre production I just need a producer and some help with the budget.

Anyway the new film is called Vampire Resurrection Its quite funny at times and about a dysfunctional family set in the Vampire world.

I'd love some feedback https://vimeo.com/165746373

TIA

Mark

post-8092-0-52491200-1466002306_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

Congratulations on making it through the first step of the process; you now have a sellable asset! :)

Well, first thing you need is an actual trailer. If you can come up with a few quid, you should be able to find a professional trailer cutter who can do that for you. The trailer you posted here doesn't help your cause unfortunately.

Once you have a good trailer, it will be a lot easier to get people excited.

• Premium Member

A trailer should tell a story not highlight cool shots. You say it's a comedy so where are the funny bits? Think of it from an outsiders perspective... Why am I watching this trailer? Is it interesting, does it keep me engaged, do I want to see more? Now I've been cutting trailers for years so I know more then your average bear. However that being said, it's hard to make a killer trailer and a lot of times as I'm writing a script I'm sculpting the trailer. This why I know I've got those critical shots required for the trailer in camera and find them when the time is right. It goes back to the old rule of thumb when making a feature; get people interested in what you're making way before you make it. Not friends and family, but random strangers online. Make a conscious effort to get as many people interested in what you have to offer as you can. This why when it comes time for selling, you already have people anxious to see the finished product.

Make sense?

I agree that a new trailer is needed. In a case like this the rule of thumb is, "promote the genre not the cast."

Frankly, in this market it's going to be a tough sell for product like this. That is just the reality.

With technology being so cheap the indie feature market is heavily saturated.

I used to think that making an indie feature and getting into the game was a good idea for aspiring filmmakers. But after seeing so much sub standard product hit the market recently I'm not so sure that's a good idea anymore?

Maybe people should spend 10+ years learning the ropes and making mistakes on other people's projects before they self fund their own feature film. Many people only get one shot when they self fund, so it had better be a good one.

R,

Thanks Tyler Makes sense.

Its not a comedy though It just has some funny bits There are no gags but there is irony and it would be difficult to put the fun stuff in the trailer as its usually coming from previous hooks and often just serendipitous in nature.

You're right Richard There were 8000 films entered into Cannes and only 50 get in. The reality is Its very difficult now to get anyone to watch the film even though your offering a saleable product. Many times now I have heard the film wont sell without a named actor involved. I have learned its not how good the film is that counts but what the film can do for those involved.

A known actor is always a plus. But as AFM reveals every year even a known actor can't save a complete mess of a movie.

You're right in that just making a feature film means you can say....I made a feature film.

I always find that indie filmmakers will spend anything to make the movie, and do anything to make the movie, then they balk at spending more than 10 bucks on the cover art. Oh I don't need a professional for that, they say, I have a cousin who....

R,

Yeah after reading the previous posts, could you link some scenes that display some of the jokes (or irony scenes)? Sometimes moments like that work for a trailer when you drop the music to help turn the segment into a punchline.

Also just curious, what cameras/lenses was this shot on?

Edited by Macks Fiiod

• Premium Member

Hi Macks Be interesting to see what people think it was shot on and what lenses :)

Blackmagic cinema camera, I'd hazard a guess 2.5k since it doesn't have the same field of view you get with a Super 35mm imager.

THe areal stuff is gopro

There is some night stuff that looks mysteriously like a different camera. I'd say some sort of small sony like an A7S.

The lenses weren't very good, probably old SLR/DSLR lenses my guess is.

• Premium Member

I'd also say the trailer needs to be redone from the ground up. I managed to watch it all the way through, but I got to the end with precisely zero idea as to what the film is supposed to be about.

What's the hook? What about the story you've told will be interesting to potential audiences? I think you need to identify what those things are and work from there.

Add to everything else that has been said, the genre is done to death. No pun intended. I am sick of vampires, werewolves and zombies.

While I agree, that is more of a personal opinion than anything else.

As already stated, that trailer didn't make me want to see the movie.

Good job on making your first feature though.

While I agree, that is more of a personal opinion than anything else.

As already stated, that trailer didn't make me want to see the movie.

Good job on making your first feature though.

If as stated in the title. the film maker is looking for distribution, not just making a film because they want to and the film maker posts it here looking for feedback, what am I supposed to add? Is my personal opinion invalid? Your personal opinion didn't come into play?? if my feedback was a touch acerbic, my apologies. The humanization of classic horror tropes is boring, plain and simple. If your are looking for distribution and people are saying your film doesn't engage them, you need to know that AND WHY. It is easy to miss the forest through the trees. Can't wait to see the trailer.

• Upvote 1

If as stated in the title. the film maker is looking for distribution, not just making a film because they want to and the film maker posts it here looking for feedback, what am I supposed to add? Is my personal opinion invalid? Your personal opinion didn't come into play?? if my feedback was a touch acerbic, my apologies. The humanization of classic horror tropes is boring, plain and simple. If your are looking for distribution and people are saying your film doesn't engage them, you need to know that AND WHY. It is easy to miss the forest through the trees. Can't wait to see the trailer.

I think the distinction you were missing is Criticism vs Constructive Criticism. Your opinion offered no real information or advice on how to better his film and the chances of distribution and success.

I think you missed it. Don't make a film like the all the rest. What few have said is that you have to stand out. How can you when all you offer is vanilla? I could be completely wrong though. Twilight saw the light of day. Unfortunayely distributors share my thoughts.

You don't need to "stand out" in terms of choosing this or that sub-genre, you need to stand out in terms of execution. There is a room for any number of vampires/werewolves/zombies movies as long as they are all good and different enough from each other. No genre has "been done to death" yet, not even close to it, it's just that we are mostly seeing bad and repetitive examples of such movies.

• Upvote 1

Oh come on now! You both know you're looking forward to 'Batman vs. Superman vs. The Hulk: Resurrection II'.

I know I am.

Speaking of video games, I would like there to be two movies adapted: 'Dishonored' and 'Skyrim'. Neither one will ever happen though.

Edited by Landon D. Parks