Concern for the Science Fiction genre

George Ebersole

• Premium Member

Many years ago I interned on a show called "Midnight Caller", and one or the higher ups for Lorimar sort of off handedly complimented SF by saying "San Francisco has no bad angles". I don't live in the city, but have spent long stretches there and worked there every now and then. And whenever I see footage of SF, even if its super-8 stuff from the 80s or something even older or more contemporary, it always looks darn good for both the skill level that the city attracts, and the native surroundings.

I'm sure there are bad shoots and bad footage of SF, but I hope I never see them.

• Premium Member

That could be true for the older or more conservative audience. I would guess that most people blogging and posting videos on social media tend to be younger and more liberal, so I think the backlash is more than simply rage at the rapidly changing social landscape. I think most people are simply tired of lazy re-makes of their favorite films, quickly and carelessly slapped together for profit.

I think those are mainly writing and directorial choices. For some perspective on why the 'Star Trek' reboot was the way it was, I found this both funny and insightful:

NSFW

Wow, I saw the new Ghostbusters movie, and thought it was pretty decent. But cruising the net I'm still reading a lot of negative feedback. I actually thought it was okay. Very odd.