Testing gear at the major rental houses?

Hey guys, I'm a camera operator and have worked as an operator for a while now and worked on some descent sets and projects. As I start to work and bigger and bigger projects every year, I haven't had to chance to operate on a geared head yet.

Any idea where I would get a chance to practice with one without having to pay? I want to be ready when the chance come sup.

How hard is to to test out gear at rental houses without commitment?

Edited by Jamison Madison

I can not speak to standards in the motion picture world, but in the theater world we often send techs in during the prep of the gear in the shops to ensure the package is exactly what we need and they know how it is all put together and works. I wouldn't imagine there would be a huge issue with your visiting the shop for the upcoming gig and getting familiar, unless its an insurance problem, or this is some kinda tabu thing in film.

• Premium Member

It's pretty typical to call the rental house and see if you can learn a new piece of gear. You'll have to work around their schedule so try calling in the middle of the week, not on a Monday or Friday.

It has the additional benefit of building up your contacts there. They will be more willing to help you out once they get to know you personally.