Beaulieu 5008 better than the 4008? I think so.

Matthew Modget

I've recently bought a Beaulieu 5008 S Multispeed and am very impressed with it. There doesn't seem to be a lot written about it anywhere, all the glory goes to the 4008. I owned a 4008 for a number of years and had it serviced by Bjorn, so I feel I definitely had the best possible experience with it, but the 5008 really seems to be a lot better:

• The handle is a decent size and thus comfortable to hold, unlike the stub on the 4008.
  • Instead of the stupid, easy to lose tab on the 4008 for engaging the orange filter, the 5008 has a switch (like almost every other Super 8 camera).
  • The shutter speed at 18 fps is 1/40, considerably more useful and less strobe-like than the 4008's 1/64.
  • The frame rate speeds are on a click stop knob rather than the infinitely adjustable knob on the 4008. This is a plus or a minus depending on what you want, but I much prefer it.
  • When the inevitable battery re-celling has to be done, you can fit ordinary AAA batteries into the sizeable battery holder.
  • It's quieter, at least my model is.
  • The shutter trigger button has a great big flappy trigger cover on it which makes it much easier to press and hold down.

Other than those points, it seems to be the equal of the 4008 in every way. Sure, the 4008 looks cooler, but you can't have it all!

Does anyone else have similar experiences?

5008s are just as nice cameras as the 4008. Much the same technology. Optics are from the same source and of the same models. Some even a big 1.2 Angénieux. Batteryholders are indeed slightly less cumbersome as they can be recelled with easier to obtain and handle AAA types. Opening requires some tricks though.

Only it looks a bit less elegant but the grip is perfect and as it is a sound camera some effeort was spent on make it more quiet. Which is good when recording sound while filming. Although the most important thing then is to have the microphone away from the camera. Then recording can be done from the scene with most cameras. Even those who may appear noisy when held to the eye, the ear is only 25 cm away there :)

Once you're used to how Beaulieu wants you to operate the camera it's not that bad. There are much easier-to-use Super 8 cameras out there but that 1.2 Angénieux is amazing if you can get it.

Well the Angénieux can be found on Bauer 715xl or its rebranded Porst 1500 :)

Somebody ought to find a way to take these lenses off and fit them on a C-mount or even a Leicina Special M-mount :)

Or the same for the R10 optics which are know as the very best Super-8 lens. Aperture control becomes a bit of a problem/challange.