Blackmagic Ursa Mini 4.6k EF Test Footage

Robbie Fatt

I have a question actually in regards to this camera. I shot this video with 5 filters on:

It was in an effort to take away some of the "sharpness" of the camera. But in doing so I've gotten a lot of artefacts in my image. I'm wondering if this is a camera issue or it is because of all the filters I stacked on (I'm 95% guessing its because of the filters).

I mixed a Tiffen Black Satin 1 with a Tiffen Black Pro Mist 1/4. There was also a Hoya UV, IR and a SLR magic Vari ND.

Haha I'll take that as a compliment if David can't see any issues in the footage :P

I think some people were spotting some FPN in the blacks etc. Maybe it was just on my monitor.

post-65277-0-36077100-1480460498_thumb.jpg

Overall, I do like the look I've been able to achieve on this camera through this setup. I'd love to know more of your thoughts David on stacking filters etc.

• Premium Member

I'd avoid stacking that many filters -- I'd probably not bother stacking two types of "mist" diffusion, the Black Satin is already a combination of a GlimmerGlass and Diffusion-FX... I'd probably just use a heavier GlimmerGlass or Black ProMist by itself rather than combine a Black Satin and a 1/4 Black ProMist. And with all of that glass, I'm not sure why you need a UV filter as well, generally digital cameras aren't as sensitive to UV as film cameras. And I'd use an ND-IR combo filter.

With the blocky compression artifacts of YouTube, it's hard to see fixed pattern noise in the blacks.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there still FPN with the new update?

Looking to get a camera in the near future and this one keeps popping up, well the mini 4.6K

There are a few problems like the power button being behind the display as well as the Cfast slots but they can be worked around...

The main thing is that FPN as I do a lot of night time shooting in woods and stuff so that is what is stopping me from clicking buy on this camera atm.

Edited by Jack OGara

• 3 years later...