Why you have glitch effect on DSLR movment shots?

Here is a video I saw on youtube, and the footage there I saw had a glitch on the movement shots.

and I had the same problem on my DSLR here is a shot from the video:

http://screencast.com/t/ngHsTcH5y

and here is the full video:

it's in 16:38 - 16:42

it's a couple of movment shots and there is this artifacts I also get on movement shots on my DSLR

I didn't have a shot that I took but it also happens to me on my shots.

The CMOS scans the image line by line top to bottom, looks like you are seeing an unfinished frame in the buffer or something. This is why a lot of modern prosumer cameras have rolling shutter based on the speed the sensor is able to scan the lines, it becomes uneven as it goes down while the camera is moving.

Some sensors have a global shutter, however, you won't find a global shutter on a DSLR.

A number of video camera have small amount of the the rolling shutter artifact, on some it's barely noticiable. DSLRs are stills cameras that take video as the secondary function, so it's not such a poirity in their design.

My understanding is that the Blackmagic 4k is the only global shutter large sensor camera in the DSLR price range.

• Premium Member

The GH4 has a CMOS imager without global shutter.

All global shutter does is allow the imager to pulse all it's data at once to the processor, instead of scanning.

The problem here has nothing to do with global shutter.

You need to post a VIDEO of the problem that we can download and analyze, a still isn't good enough.

Angle is just another way of setting the same thing. It comes from film cameras with a rotating circular shutter and these were set by the angle the shutter was open. With a film camera at 24 fps 180 degree shutter the exposure is !/48, since the shutter is half open to expose the film during each rotation.

On digital cameras you can because you''re not moving film, however, there is more smear on movement. It's sometimes used to get more exposure on fairly static subjects or a slighly "ghostly" effect with increased motion blur. For general use 180 degrees is taken as the best balance.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

• Premium Member

It's important to keep in mind that a 180 degree shutter with a frame rate of 23.976fps results in a shutter speed of 1/47.952, not 1/48. So there is a chance that you could run into 60Hz flicker issues if you choose to use shutter angle mode and not shutter speed mode.

This would not be an issue if you shot true 24.000fps but almost nobody does that with digital cameras. So it's probably safer to just stick with shutter speed for most shooting situations.