PL mount lens not fitting adaptor

Hello all, back again with another punishing and probably quiet obvious question.

I have a PL mount lens, it fits beautifully directly into the PL mount on one of my cameras but does not fit in the PL-M43 adaptor I have for another camera.

It appears that the chamfer at the rear of the lens flange is too big for the adaptor, making it sit too high / not seat right, thus not being able to turn the locking ring. I put some sharpie on the chamfer and the adaptor scratched it off, so i'm 90% sure that I'm on the right track.

My question is ... do I have any other option aside from putting it in a lathe and making the corresponding chamfer in the adaptor a bit deeper? It would only need .5mm

See photo to substantiate my terrible description of the issue.

Thanks for any help.

IMG_7434.jpg

ps ... parts have since been cleaned, excuse the dirt ;)

At the risk of stating the obvious, it sounds like the adapter
is slightly undersized. If you've got dial calipers, you could
check the dimensions to make sure, but if that turns out to be
the problem, then, yes, boring it out slightly should solve it.
I'd measure it, though, because .5 mm might be more than you
need to remove. You don't want to end up with it being too
loose.

The chamfer on the lens mount looks excessive. You can correct that on the lens mount or make the correction on the M4/3 adapter.

Either way, a little machining will be necessary.

It definitely looks excessive but the machining on the other side of the flange cuts in quiet deep so I assume the thickness of that chamfer was calculated to leave as much material on as possible.

I will take Dans suggestion and measure it all up but I think you're right, machining the adaptor is the safest option.

• Premium Member

I've come across this often with cheap PL mounts and adapters, and agree with Jean-Louis' suggestions.

Well diagnosed though Brenton, your sharpie trick was spot-on!