Which view finder do you use for DSLR like the 5D/7D/GH4?

• Premium Member

I use the Cineroid Retina viewfinder with Wooden Camera EVF mount on Red/C300/100/Cion/DSLR cameras. Works great for the price. If I only needed SDI input, no outputs, and could always power thru d-tap then I would probably get a Zacuto Eye. The Zacuto Graticle HD is too expensive for me.

The Cineroid is sharp enough with the peaking to pull focus from, not too big and heavy, has good exposure tools, 1:1 focus zoom, custom guides, custom anamorphic scaling, four user keys, HDMI-SDI conversion, SDI loop thru, powers off of Canon LP-E6 batteries and d-tap.

The only problems I have with it are due to poor build quality, mostly the plastic loupe which feels cheap, fragile, and has light leaks. But it is also very lightweight. The monitor itself is all aluminum, but the tiny screws that hold the 1/4-20 thread adapter can strip over time. And the plastic battery plate has little tabs to hold the battery snug which can snap off easily. You can work around these things, but it's a hassle. So if you are rough with your gear, then it might not be the best choice. That said, mine has survived three years of constant abuse and is still going.

Whichever model you get, it is well worth it to invest in a proper pivoting EVF mounting system like the Wooden Camera. The mount allows the viewfinder to tilt freely with adjustable tension, swing forward or back, slide side-to-side, and come off in seconds. It speeds up your camera setup time so you can keep shooting, which is especially important in documentary. This week I had to use a Noga arm on the client's camera since they didn't have a top cage and we missed a bunch of shots because I had to stop and re-adjust the eyepiece for every shot. Very frustrating.

what is the difference between loupes to the Cineroid Retina?

It has a built-in retina monitor in the viewfinder. It doesn't use the cameras screen. Several advantages, including being able to move the entire viewfinder away from the camera body. In reality, it's just an external monitor with a viewfinder cup attached.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

I have the Kamerar QV-1 LCD Viewfinder.

I have tried in on Canon 5D mk3, 70D, Nikon D750...
I like the ability to adjust it up/down/left/right.
Some (slight) diopter adjustments, all in all nice device.

On the Nikon D750 it didn't fit well vertically.
I think i couldn't get lower so some small part on the bottom of the screen,

like half letters of the shutter, aperture were cropped. Might have been the opposite, but

the main view area was still visible.

I got mine at a very good price from aliexpress.com.
~45 USD and free shipping.

Any more questions about it, feel free to ask.

Best

Igor

I know it's a LOT cheaper then other online places, but that's the product.

I've just did a comparison between your above video review and my finder

in front of me. All same but difference in the make/model plate on top of it,

where in the above video it has also the Kamerar logo - the circle and "K"

All else the same. :)

Now who's the scammer? Who's making the profit?

Just type in "KAMERAR QV-1" on Ali and seek out a seller with good rating, product feedback and good price.

Best.

Igor

PS: i was about to send you link from the seller i bought mine, but they are out of the product.
Still other sellers available with similar prices.

loupes when used on the back of a DSLR add a surprising amount of stabilization.

Apparently our necks are good at doing that for our eyes!

Here's a short I shot six years ago w/ a loupe connected by rubber bands to a 5D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj8k3H0McU8

Compared to most of the wheeled dolly shots,

most of the handheld stuff required less/no post stabilization

It was on older hoodman loupe and worked similar to this:

HSLRM.jpg

Edited by Daniel Reed