Trailer of my first feature..."Malum"

• Premium Member

I am not sure if this is where we are supposed to put trailers as I have never done one before.

I know I said I wouldn't come back but I wanted to announce that, for better or worse, I completed my first feature film. I had a tiny budget and non-union talent but I got it done and learned a ton. I wanted to thank everyone here in the past who gave me advice that saved me from some pitfalls. I also want to apologize to others whose advice I ignored to my own peril and I ended up learning the hard way.

Nonetheless, no amount of research and talking to others can ever substitute for actually making a feature...even a cheap one. I admire all of you who have made features in the past and still continue to do so (Richard B...please forgive me for my negative words in the past.)

Okay, enough talk...here is the trailer for my new film entitled "Malum." I have also attached the movie poster as well.

https://youtu.be/GAWi3gtL5Ok

post-14289-0-67905800-1468095624_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

Congrats on finishing a film, that's always an accomplishment.

The best thing I could say is there is a creepy vibe going throughout in a sort of 60's underground cult movie sort of way.

At least on my computer, most of the cuts have a weird jump in exposure like you used to get in analog video when you didn't have the dub tape pre-blacked and didn't use a time base corrector, almost like each shot was just dubbed to tape using the pause button on a VCR.

• Premium Member

Congrats Matthew! It's so true what you said about the learning process. I made a micro-budget feature almost ten years ago now and I often tell people that I learned more shooting that movie than I did in my entire film school and post film school career combined.

• Premium Member

Congrats on finishing a film, that's always an accomplishment.

The best thing I could say is there is a creepy vibe going throughout in a sort of 60's underground cult movie sort of way.

At least on my computer, most of the cuts have a weird jump in exposure like you used to get in analog video when you didn't have the dub tape pre-blacked and didn't use a time base corrector, almost like each shot was just dubbed to tape using the pause button on a VCR.

I admit that I am not usin a calibrated monitor to grade. Didnt have the budget for it. I was using manual transitions in Resolve by manipulating the parade color curves to create a manual "fade in/fade out" effect that was more unsettling than the polished ones that come standard in many NLEs.

I am worried about the black levels because they look fine on my monitor but you arent the first person to say they look "not black" on theirs.

• Premium Member

Congratulations on getting it done. What happens next?

R,

Rest for a bit and then make the final cut as polished as I can with what little budget I have left. I am holding a hometown screening for it here in Sacramento in October. I am hoping that I can appeal to the "cult film" niche like David mentioned because I was sortof going for that from the get-go since I have always liked those types of off-beat films since I was a kid. I admit though, I lack your savvy to know how to actually realize contacting the right people to make a go of it.

Congrats Matthew! It's so true what you said about the learning process. I made a micro-budget feature almost ten years ago now and I often tell people that I learned more shooting that movie than I did in my entire film school and post film school career combined.

Thank you Justin. In that case, I suppose the film may be cheaper than modern University tuition!

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I will also congratulate you on finishing a feature, it's really tough! I'm in the middle of shooting/editing two right now!

I'm going to make a few notes...

1- The transition idea unfortunately doesn't work well because it feels wrong, as if there is a technical glitch, rather then a creative one. Because there is a dip in black level, it really feels glitchy.

2- The audio is a big problem, not just the trailer music, but the set audio... it has no punch, like it was recorded with the built-in camera mic.

3- Blocking... this is the process of determining where actors are put in a shot in relationship to their environment and how the camera covers the action. Many shots were oddly blocked and when you show a shot of someone's head in a trailer, it makes the movie look worse then it maybe is.

All the other technical and acting issues are self evident, but it's to be expected with any ultra-low production and in a lot of cases, can't be fixed easily without money. However, those things I pointed out are things people pick up on very easily and are pretty easy to fix during production.

Good luck with the next phase of the project! Editing and then finding a hope for your product is in a lot of cases, far more difficult then even making it. So just be mindful of that as you go along this next phase.

• Premium Member

I will also congratulate you on finishing a feature, it's really tough! I'm in the middle of shooting/editing two right now!

I'm going to make a few notes...

1- The transition idea unfortunately doesn't work well because it feels wrong, as if there is a technical glitch, rather then a creative one. Because there is a dip in black level, it really feels glitchy.

2- The audio is a big problem, not just the trailer music, but the set audio... it has no punch, like it was recorded with the built-in camera mic.

3- Blocking... this is the process of determining where actors are put in a shot in relationship to their environment and how the camera covers the action. Many shots were oddly blocked and when you show a shot of someone's head in a trailer, it makes the movie look worse then it maybe is.

All the other technical and acting issues are self evident, but it's to be expected with any ultra-low production and in a lot of cases, can't be fixed easily without money. However, those things I pointed out are things people pick up on very easily and are pretty easy to fix during production.

Good luck with the next phase of the project! Editing and then finding a hope for your product is in a lot of cases, far more difficult then even making it. So just be mindful of that as you go along this next phase.

Thank you , Tyler, for watching and giving your opinion. I appreciate it.

Oh BTW, congratulations on referring to the last book in the Bible as, Revelation. Most people call it, Revelations, which of course is...wrong.

R,

• Premium Member

Oh BTW, congratulations on referring to the last book in the Bible as, Revelation. Most people call it, Revelations, which of course is...wrong.

R,

Haha, you noticed that people do that as well? I thought that was just a local quirk because no one in Northern California pronounces anything correctly, it seems. :lol:

• Premium Member

David, if you are out there, I picked up on your distaste for my previous transitions. I discovered Resolve's built in Fades so I used those instead to the liking of some of my cast.

Hopefully this version will be a bit easier on the eyes.

https://youtu.be/kC9nN0ehRMA

Only one thing I'd be careful of: Using the MPAA stinger at the beginning. I don't think they give permission to use their marks for anything unrated, and you can only use it as 'not yet rated' if you intend to have it rated by the MPAA.

Just sayin, I'd be a little careful if you plan to make the trailer widely available.

Could be wrong, and maybe you got permission... But just don't want you to get in trouble.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member

Only one thing I'd be careful of: Using the MPAA stinger at the beginning. I don't think they give permission to use their marks for anything unrated, and you can only use it as 'not yet rated' if you intend to have it rated by the MPAA.

Just sayin, I'd be a little careful if you plan to make the trailer widely available.

Could be wrong, and maybe you got permission... But just don't want you to get in trouble.

Thank you for that. I do plan to get it rated but I am not sure of if I am required to get permission to use the not rated. I will look into this issue.

Yes, $3, 000.00. Now here is the crazy thing, if you are a distributor you pay LESS. If you are the filmmaker submitting direct on your own, you pay MORE. What the heck?????????????

Also, what do you need an MPAA rating for anyway? Unless you have some guaranteed distribution you are throwing money away. I assume you don't have E&O either, or a clearance report? These two would add at least $10, 000.00.

Again, don't spend the money unless a distributor says you have to.

R,

• Premium Member

Yes, $3, 000.00. Now here is the crazy thing, if you are a distributor you pay LESS. If you are the filmmaker submitting direct on your own, you pay MORE. What the heck?????????????

Also, what do you need an MPAA rating for anyway? Unless you have some guaranteed distribution you are throwing money away. I assume you don't have E&O either, or a clearance report? These two would add at least $10, 000.00.

Again, don't spend the money unless a distributor says you have to.

R,

Thank you, Richard, for the help. I will just remove their branding and not worry about it unless it makes sense.

I was hoping to host my local premiere using the Tugg service...does anyone know if you can still screen your film at a multiplex through Tugg without an MPAA rating?

Yes, $3, 000.00. Now here is the crazy thing, if you are a distributor you pay LESS. If you are the filmmaker submitting direct on your own, you pay MORE.

R,

Welcome to Hollywood... That is a pretty stupid way of charging money.

Thankfully I wont need the MPAA for the TV series Im working on. TV ratings are free.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member

Welcome to Hollywood... That is a pretty stupid way of charging money.

Thankfully I wont need the MPAA for the TV series Im working on. TV ratings are free.

I took your advice, Landon, and removed the MPAA screen from the trailer. I do not want to do anything to anger a group like that. I appreciate you and a few others on here who are looking out for me on some issues.