Kendrick Gray

Help finding information on lighting.

I've been studying all my weakest points when it comes to cinematography. Im trying to make it all stick subconsciously, or at least most of it. By far, my weakest point is lighting. I've watched Shane Hurlbuts "Illumination Experience" videos, but thats not enough for me. I need to start with the basics. I want and need to know why and how to light a certain scene. Like some sort of blueprint to start with and venture off from eventually as I learn more.

Does anybody have some suggestions on books I should pick up, articles to read, or videos I should watch? I actually have a degree in Digital Cinematography but I didn't learn nearly as much as I needed to. I know there are a lot of professionals here who can point me in the right direction. This forum as been gold! Thanks in advance.

The 'Cinesummit' video lectures have some pretty great, accessible information on lighting technique and philosophy. They can drag on a bit at time and get a little unfocussed (as any lecture can I suppose), but stick with them, and there are certainly some gems to be gleamed.

Personally, I think the best thing you could do is offer or volunteer to work under some local gaffers in your area. Work with the pros and watch how they do it. Theory is useful, but until you can actually implement lighting concepts in practice, you won't really understand how and why they work.