Returning after a hiatus

James Zeun

Hey everyone

I've not been around for a while, but decided to pop back on as I've been wanting to get back in to using my super8 camera.

Thus far the prices for film+development seem awfully more expensive then they did back in 2009. So I'd like to ask what people consider the going rate for film + developing. I've been having a look around and it seems to have shot up quite a bit.

• Premium Member

Basically,

From Kodak a cart of Super8mm is $25 USD

Processing is $18

Scanning depends on where you go:

• CineLab will scan one 50-foot roll for $18 into 1080p, or for $25 into 2K.
  • Gamma Ray Digital is about $20-25 a roll for 2K, and you can request custom framing, about $35 for 4K
  • Cinelicious will scan your film but you have to call and ask for a quote price, usually quoted per hour.
  • Pro8mm provides professional level scene-to-scene digitazation services, which run about $83 per roll or $250/hr.
  • Video Film Solutions will scan your film
  • I think Spectra still does Super 8mm.

Hey thanks for the response :-)

So development is $18? Where is that from? I'm based in England and prices here for film + processing are more like $60.

The film would appear to cost more here as well.

I love using film, I've a perfectly working Chinon. But after looking online last night, I was left with a dreadful feeling that I'm priced out of using it.

Edited by James Zeun

Unfortunately, here in Europe, super-8 is quite much more expensive than in the US. Somewhat surprisingly, one can almost shoot on 16mm film for the same price, film + processing + HD scan included: http://www.frame24ltd.co.uk/epages/es768558.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es768558/Categories/Process_Paid_Stock/100ft_lengths

If you want to shoot 8mm film, the most cost effective option is to acquire a Double Super-8 camera and some Fomapan 100 for it: https://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen/films/foma-fomapan-iso-21100-r-ds-2x8-mm-10-meter-double-super-8-not-super-8.html

Are you guys in the UK able to order film straight from Kodak? And once the new camera is launched, Kodak will be selling film, processing, and scanning bundles later this year. No one knows what the prices will be yet. I'm hoping for a better deal on film and processing, closer to what they offered with K40 10yrs ago.

I don't think we can buy direct from Kodak in the UK, buying a new cartridge can be around £22.00, then there's processing and scanning, it can cost up to £55.00 plus postage, sometimes Super 8 will cost more than 16mm. The advantage of Super 8 is labs don't have minimum charges and you can shoot small amounts, though you might have to wait days even weeks to get film back after processing and scanning. With 16mm you have to buy re-cans, shoot a lot to satisfy the minimum charges of the labs, therefore spend a lot, but the whole processing and scanning is fast.

Pav

Could someone possibly answer my earlier question :-)

I'm coming to the conclusion super8 is now a no go for me, as it's simply too costly.

If double super 8 is cheaper, I'd be open to moving to another format. If I can use my existing projector with it.

What's normal 8mm like these days? Expensive?

Well, most of the cameras that are available are quite cheap. You just have to find one that works. This is the most common ds-8 camera: http://m.ebay.de/itm/Quarz-Zoom-DS8-3-russische-Filmkamera-/252453330868?nav=SEARCH

Processing can be done as 16mm. Thus it is something like 1.20 + vat per meter @ Andec. For a spool of 10 meters ds-8 you get 20 meters of super-8 after splitting the processed film but pay only about 12.00 + vat.

I know we've covered cost per meter. But how does that translate to cost per film? As a home user, I buy the film I need, use it up and then get it developed. I generally look at the cost per film not per meter.

I did look on http://www.andecfilm.de

But I wasn't sure what film I should be looking for, as i dont know what goes inside a DS8 camera. I did see a price list, which had figures still in the 40 and 50 euro area. I dont want my film digitizing, just processing so i can project it :D

At the moment, I'd really like to stay with film, I love the experience of setting up the projector and frankly love how it looks. I find the sharp quality of digital is little too...I dont know, harsh, sterile, lacking all the qualities which make film a fun medium. I'm in no way a professional, but I know what I like. Any fool can film something on a camera phone, but using film required planning out your shot and in my experience, the end results are far more rewarding. The only problem is thanks to everyone jumping for digital, the medium has gone from cheap and affordable to bloody expensive for the average Joe.

Could someone possibly answer my earlier question :-)

I'm coming to the conclusion super8 is now a no go for me, as it's simply too costly.

If double super 8 is cheaper, I'd be open to moving to another format. If I can use my existing projector with it.

What's normal 8mm like these days? Expensive?

I would at least wait and see what Kodak's new campaign has in store later this year. All we know is that the whole idea is aimed to simplify everything above, including a new camera. Only question is what the costs will be, surly cheaper with fewer middle men and mark ups. What ever the costs may be, they will at least be more definitive, and then you'll know if you can afford it or not.

Well, with Fomapan and DS-8, it costs approx. 28 film + processing for the same or a bit longer amount of film as one cartridge of super-8.

I don't suppose I could trouble you for some figures? I know you said 28 films, but is that colour reversal, black and white..what length is it, where can I buy it?

Simply put, if I buy myself a new camera, what will a film plus developing cost? £20, £40? Or £60?

The wide screen store here in the uk, quoted me nearly £100 for developing a film and putting it to DVD..Even though I just wanted it for projecting.

So, to get started with DS-8,

1) buy a camera (that Quarz is a good one to start with).

2) buy film here https://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen/films/foma-fomapan-iso-21100-r-ds-2x8-mm-10-meter-double-super-8-not-super-8.html

3) shoot the film: Load the daylight spool in the camera, expose, then flip the spool and expose the other half.

4) send it in for processing here: super8.nl -- tell them it's DS-8 Fomapan, they'll know what to do with it...

It'll cost you a total of about 28 EUR for film and processing (shipping not included)

Foma materials (film & paper etcetera) are best bought from http://www.fomafoto.com

(secret tip, no VAT on small shipments when these slip through customs or when the value is below treshold :)

or Foma themselves http://fomaobchod.cz/

(unfortunately limited selection of countries servicable :) )

Most economical is to expose 30 meter rolls (N8 or DS-8) and when possible process DIY.

The trouble is of course that it may take a while to get a roll fully exposed :)

Edited by Andries Molenaar