Mixing FS7 & F5

Philipp Kunzli

We're right now in preproduction for a documentary for which we're going to need two cameras.

It's an international coproduction and it's going to be shoot in two countries. One Company owns

a F5 already, the second one is considering buying a FS7...

There are times when we will be shooting with both cameras the same time and there are situation

when we shoot a whole scene with one and the next with the other camera.

Does anyone have any experience how the to cameras go together. How do they mix?

Or are there any special set up to bring them closer?

Thanks for your feedback.

Philipp

• Premium Member

You'll be fine, they'll cut as well together as two different cameras can. Shoot SLOG3/SGamut3.cine with both for best results, and ensure both sensors are exposed properly, with middle grey at the appropriate place on a waveform (the supposed 2000 ISO sensitivity of both cameras hasn't wrung true in my tests).

• Upvote 1

You'll be fine, they'll cut as well together as two different cameras can. Shoot SLOG3/SGamut3.cine with both for best results, and ensure both sensors are exposed properly, with middle grey at the appropriate place on a waveform (the supposed 2000 ISO sensitivity of both cameras hasn't wrung true in my tests).

I totally agree with you. The FS 7 isn't 2000 ISO! I postet already a quite intense ISO test a few month ago.

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=67992

In my experience I shot it 1250...

• Premium Member

I got 1125 ISO for my F5, and have seen basically the same response on the FS7.

For anyone interested, you can see the tests and read the methodology on my blog: www.dreamsmiths.com.au/blog

You'll note that I DON'T advocate overexposing those sensors, merely exposing them properly. Overexposing SLOG in 10-bit compressed codecs will force the brighter parts of your image into more compressed parts of the gamma curve - which will leave you with less tonality and more plastic-looking skin tones (perhaps the most common crime I see commited with these cameras).