Taking a trip to Hawaii. 50d or 100d?

Hunter O'Shea

• Premium Member

I'd go 100D in 35mm. :)

You'll get different results with 50D, not necessarily much better.

All depends on the look you'd like to get. Fresh 50D should give you the smallest grain possible with Super 8 and if you have a good transfer done you'll have flexibility in getting almost any look you'd like. You'd probably want to boost the color a little in post.

Hawaii doesn't scream Super 8 to me...I'd go with Super 16 if you can...those vistas are amazing.

I should have mentioned I'll be shooting super 8. I wish 16 was an option but the batteries plus repairing my batteries burned down with them inside it last week :/ I guess I'm just worried about getting much softer images with the reversal.

Thanks Will!

- Hunter

• Premium Member

Definitely won't be "much" softer with 100D...what's more important will be the lens and focusing properly...that seems to be my major issue in Super 8, nailing the focus.

With 100D you'll be able to project it and that's 10x better than anything you'll see on a computer screen. The vibrant colors will pop like crazy. I was always disappointed at what a scan or telecine looked like compared to the projected film, especially in 16mm...Ektachrome 100D in 16mm is the bomb.

100D is a bit soft for my taste, but looks beautiful projected. Ultra saturated colours.

50D and a projection print from Andec would be heaven, but an expensive one. Are you going to project your finished film or just finishing on digital?

• Premium Member

As far as airport x-ray, will I have to worry about the film being harmed?

There's a ton of posts on that...I would just plan it out to have Kodak ship your film directly to your hotel or whomever you're staying with on the day you arrive. FedEx doesn't X-ray. You have to pay for shipping anyway, might as well save a step. Plus Kodak has crazy cheap shipping deals with FedEx...just go 2-day.