Shooting 100ft bulk rolls in cine cameras?

Hi All!

I've always thought you can't use 100ft bulk rolls intended for standard 35mm still photography in 35mm cine cameras, but I've recently seen a couple of vimeo clips claiming to have used such film rolls. I'd love to experiment with several stocks only available as 135 format bulk rolls...

...so I ask: What is the experience of people on this forum?

Thank you in advance!

• Premium Member

I just started to experiment with this, will post results later. my Konvas 1KCP works with them without mechanical problems. finer cameras may have issues due to completely different perforation and pitch compared to cine film ( KS perfs and "print",aka long,pitch) .

static electricity and halation may also be possible drawbacks. DON'T use with any camera which has reg pins, you will ruin your camera. older non-reg gear like Konvas, Cameflex, Eymo, Arri2c should be fine but you have to still test it individually with each camera body to ensure you don't run into problems. the long pitch is bigger issue than the different perforation profile.

note that most of the bulk film comes on different cores the cine stuff and you have to rewind them to standard 2" cine cores for use. though I bought some stills bulk Foma400 which was already put on 2" cine cores in factory so it may vary a bit and the used core may not be marked on the can, you may have to open all the cans before use to check it out... ;)

• Premium Member

are you using a lab or developing by yourself? if using a lab you should first ensure that they can handle the bulk film without problems.

if you specifically want to use the stills stocks with pin registered cameras you can try to purchase the film non-perforated and let a separate company to do cine perforations to the rolls. ORWO in Germany does this for example and it is not that expensive ( I asked from them about this because I investigated this Spring the possibility to use DELTA3200 with cine cameras, initially did not have the funding to purchase the unperforated raw film 'cause that's expensive stock but the perforating service was very reasonably priced) but you need to do quite a lot of rolls to make this economical (maybe 50 or 100 or so at a time, depends also of the film manufacturers's minimum order policy)

• Premium Member

There were some professional cameras that eat photo perforation, the Parvo by Debrie before 1921, the Bell & Howell Eyemo, the Arriflex, the Caméflex by Eclair, Camerette in America, some Soviet makes, and the Aaton.

All pioneer 35mm film cameras can be used, from the Prestwich and Darling to the Pathé or Wilart or Institute or Akeley. There were dozens of amateur 35 cameras such as the Kinamo by ICA or the Italian Tek by Serra. Even the cheapest made Bol or Cinex or DeVry can be used.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

konvas cameras are much more common and cheaper than cameflexes and the lenses are tons cheaper. if picking a cameflex you may want to have a converted one with for example Nikon mount so that the lenses don't cost 5 or 10 times the price of the cam body <_<

the drawback of Konvases is that they limit your lens choices and conversion options a bit more than the Cameflex system, you have to spool down your own film or use smaller short ends (about 45m with the 60m mag when using the western 2" core) and you have to be able to service them by yourself at least to some point. they are generally smaller than cameflex so they may be much easier for documentary and handheld use

• Premium Member

my Fomapan 400 test with the Konvas 1KCP came out fine :) the Foma came on standard 2" cine cores already, normally bulk film uses different cores and has to be spooled down to cine core before use but the Foma worked out of the box

Thanks for the info!

I remember a 2-perf Cameflex on Ebay back in 2014 that went for $820... would've been perf-ect (forgive the pun). I would definitely go the Nikon mount version. Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll be processing the film myself which is part of the motivation; to test different developer formulations with still-film emulsions... I'm interested to see what can be achieved, particularly with high-contrast subjects.

• Premium Member

here is a quick example of a Fomapan shot with Konvas. I transferred it with my "Konvas scanner" and had a bit of sync problems with it (+ had some drying spots on film, will re wash it later) but you can see the basic look at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vQ_7m4yAcY&feature=youtu.be