The 9 zillion cables used in film / camera ...

Hey, another punishing newbie question but it's probably something we all deal with at some point.

Does anyone have any good reference material whether it be online or print, that deals with identifying connectors, cable types, their specs, usage ...etc?

Obviously I could refer to every manufacturers website every time i need to identify something but hopefully over the years someone put a reference book together already?

Any help is appreciated!

Yeah kinda,

just something for beginners to identify different cable names and their use.

Whether it be XLR, Fischer, Hirose, Lemo, RJ45, bnc/din/smb.

It's just that I was in a workshop this week full of people new to cameras and there was a lot of 'hey i need one of those little cables with the half moon bit and the two pins' etc etc.

• Premium Member

I totally feel your pain. Worst part is, everyone has their own slang for different connectors and cables as well. It's almost a sub-dialect, which makes it awfully confusing.

I was just looking through my ASC and Camera assistant manuals, but neither one covers cables like that. Worst part is, Fischer, Hirose and Lemo, come in several styles. Good news is, only a few of them are used on film sets.

SO IDK man, it's a great question! Lets see if anyone else has any ideas.

• Premium Member

The type of connector that's used to supply power to some types of camera - a Lemo 2B series - is (other than the pin count) identical to the type used to connect a military jet pilot's helmet and mask to the aircraft.

We're clearly using the tough stuff.

P

• Premium Member

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to start collecting online PDFs of the various camera manuals. They usually have high-res pictures of the connectors on the camera body and sometimes pictures of the cable connectors as well. You could then just print out the relevant pages for reference.

Brenton, you write on your info "other", could you please specify what do you? If you are a Cinematographer or want to become one, you do need to know those things on a basic level I feel, as your AC will sort out camera cables etc anyway.

a few methods to learn about connectors:

1) Go and look at videos from companies making accessories like Wooden Camera for example, they have a tone of videos on youtube showing different methods of connecting things, Arri have some good videos as well and Abel Cine and I'm sure there are more.

2) If possible go to a local rental house and ask them either to pay for a few hours of explaining or even work for them as an intern for a few days in the camera department, learning the equipment .

3) look for a 1st AC that does TV or fiction and ask him if he got a shoot you could join even free or for very low wage.

Hope it helps.

Edited by Oron Cohen