Seasoned DP with solid theatrical credits needed

Palladin

What: Indie with 500K budget & name ensemble cast.

Who: Writer/Director with over 35 features under his belt.

Where: Shooting location mostly in Northern Suburbs of NYC.

When: July 18th production start-date and a five week schedule (26 days)

How: Super 16 to DI. Non-Union production.

The project is a film about a small town, with a large ensemble cast. Fast dialogue. Not looking for cutting edge cinematography. Looking for someone who can think on a larger cinematic scale and accomplish it at this budget. Lot?s of deep direction. Looking for someone with an impressive track record that would be willing to work on this project for what we can offer if it creatively satisfies their need and the attached talent interests them.

This is the first picture we will produce in a five-picture deal. We are looking to put together partnerships, which will translate into at least one more film out of the five. This is a serious production with major heavy hitters coming together to bring this story to life.

If you are interested please send your information to palladin.pictures@gmail.com. Also include if you have access to the necessary equipment and a support group that will accompany you on the job. Given you fit the profile, we will forward you all the necessary information regarding the project. Please have credits that can be rented at a video store.

• Premium Member

Hi,

> name ensemble cast.

Who?

> over 35 features under his belt.

Which ones?

> willing to work on this project for what we can offer

What can you offer?

> This is the first picture we will produce in a five-picture deal.

Says who?

So basically, you're asking for a free camera department, with crew and equipment, for a project that's so huge you have to be secretive about it. I'd hesitate to do it, and I could use the credit. Anyone with the experience you're demanding certainly going to be pickier than me...

All job ads should state what, where, when, and critically how much.

Phil

Hi,

> name ensemble cast.

Who?

> over 35 features under his belt.

Which ones?

> willing to work on this project for what we can offer

What can you offer?

> This is the first picture we will produce in a five-picture deal.

Says who?

So basically, you're asking for a free camera department, with crew and equipment, for a project that's so huge you have to be secretive about it. I'd hesitate to do it, and I could use the credit. Anyone with the experience you're demanding certainly going to be pickier than me...

All job ads should state what, where, when, and critically how much.

Phil

Dear Phil,

With all due respect, we are doing the hiring not you. I prefer not to divulge the details of the production in a public forum. At no point during this post I asked for free help. I apologize for coming across to you that way. But any professional DP will understand what the rates would be for a 500K theatrical picture. Again there are no professional crewmembers on this production that do not get paid. And we are fully budgeted for the equipment. There are models out there for bigger budgets that pay less than what we will for crew. Last but not least, I am not sure what authority you have with this site to dictate what the jobs ads should look like. But I assure should they be that I have to give up my shorts to do so, I would gladly refrain.

I am posting to find one highly qualified DP and frankly do not know what he is worth until I see his work and his credits. DP's with longer track records provide incentives to a producer, which in turn can afford to pay them more than others. Again I hope this has cleared the misperception.

Also let me apologize in advance that I won't be able to continue to communicate with you through this forum. It was an accident that I saw your posting and I am glad that I did. Feel free to send me your credentials and should you be who we are looking for, we can gladly discuss the details of the production, the names of the cast, and all other attached talent at great length.

Cheers,

Palladin Producer

Edited by Palladin

I'm with you Phil, any DP at the level they are looking for would give this a miss.

Shot some thing that can be rented in the video store....give me a break.

Post the high and mighty directors 35 feature films first, then we'll see.

35 features, what is he 120 years old?

R,

• Premium Member

I don't see what's wrong with his post. He's doing a typical half-mil feature with the typical budget for crew & equipment at that level no doubt.

I've done a dozen such features myself including "Twin Falls Idaho" as well as many straight-to-video features that sometimes show up on cable TV. I did one just a year ago, but for a friend (I'm trying to get away from that budget level.)

If you're interested, contact him. If not, don't. For the right DP, it could be an excellent opportunity for all anyone knows.

This is a cinematography forum after all -- do you guys want to chase off everyone who wants to post a job opportunity here? Or do you expect only studios with big budgets to post a job opportunity? Now perhaps he'd be better off going to the agencies looking for a DP, but then someone here who is agent-less might not get a shot at this.

Every producer tries to hire people more qualified than the budget suggests would allow before they settle for a less experienced person, same goes with casting a movie. Think small and you end up small.

David,

This guys contact e-mail is: palladin.pictures@gmail.com

Give me a break this smacks of "fly by night" and so does the rest of his post.

If he's legit and serious he'd use a proper e-mail account, not a free web based one.

Too many holes in his post to take it seriously.

And of course no one has any objections to bonafide credible job posts in this forum.

R,

I happen to agree with David. If you guys discredit and disclaim everyone who posts a job here, there will be less and less then there already are. No offense Brian, but I can't imagine you not being slightly interested in inquiring a little more about this project. I imagine it would help your credit and reel more then it would hurt. Regardless of whether it is legit or not, whats the harm in inquiring about a film and especially in submitting a request for DP's work examples. Myself and my crew have been screwed over several times by production companies but if you stand by pissed at everything and wary about every situation, then you get nowhere. The only risk you take is spending the 85 cents on postage or if you have a website there is no loss what so ever. Regardless, the more chances you have at making other people aware of yourself and your work the better. Palladin is offering you that chance. Whether they hire you for this one or not or even if the production doesn't actually take off, other people will see your work. Maybe on the company's next one or perhaps when the producer(s) or director are working seperately on a later film you will be perfect for what they need. As David said, he started out working on films such as this and look what happened.

In regards to using a gmail account I think it is a very sensible thing to do if you are accepting mass email submissions. That way you don't have people you don't want to talk to jamming up your real account or getting junk email in it. If you happen to find the right person, then send out the personal email. That is what I do for myself and my company. I happen to have two hotmail accounts and a personal business account through my website company for just these reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

Shaw H Burrows 561 827 6204

Tequesta fl.

Give me a call or e-mial shawburrows@yahoo.com

What: Indie with 500K budget & name ensemble cast.

Who: Writer/Director with over 35 features under his belt.

Where: Shooting location mostly in Northern Suburbs of NYC.

When: July 18th production start-date and a five week schedule (26 days)

How:  Super 16 to DI. Non-Union production.

The project is a film about a small town, with a large ensemble cast. Fast dialogue. Not looking for cutting edge cinematography. Looking for someone who can think on a larger cinematic scale and accomplish it at this budget. Lot’s of deep direction. Looking for someone with an impressive track record that would be willing to work on this project for what we can offer if it creatively satisfies their need and the attached talent interests them.

This is the first picture we will produce in a five-picture deal. We are looking to put together partnerships, which will translate into at least one more film out of the five. This is a serious production with major heavy hitters coming together to bring this story to life.

If you are interested please send your information to palladin.pictures@gmail.com. Also include if you have access to the necessary equipment and a support group that will accompany you on the job. Given you fit the profile, we will forward you all the necessary information regarding the project. Please have credits that can be rented at a video store.

Hi- not to stir up the bees' nest or anything, but it does seem a little odd that someone with 35 features in their CV doesn't just network with past DP's/production managers, etc. I don't know anyone personally who shops for Dp's via anonymous internet postings, it's just kind of weird.

Maybe there's a good reason for taking that approach, i can't think of what it would be though.

Hi- not to stir up the bees' nest or anything, but it does seem a little odd that someone with 35 features in their CV doesn't just network with past DP's/production managers, etc. I don't know anyone personally who shops for Dp's via anonymous internet postings, it's just kind of weird.

Maybe there's a good reason for taking that approach, i can't think of what it would be though.

Hasn't gotten along with previous DP's? Or DP'd their own work until now, and finally realize that they need one? Or, possibly, the DP's they networked with have all gotten jobs and don't do that anymore?

Even possibly trying to find new blood?

well, my greater point is, if this forum has an unofficial policy of signing posts with our real names, why doesn't that apply to job posters? Look, if you're trolling for crew, actors or whatever, it doesn't matter if it's this board or Backstage West or any venue, or whether you use your real name or not, you're going to get a slew of wackos and unqualified people, that's just part of the game. And another reason, i think, why most people i have known in my limited experience just pick up the phone and start asking around.

Regardless of whether or not this particular post is legit or not, it's such a textbook of red flags that simply signing it might dispell some of the concerns raised here already, and probably make it a far more attractive proposition for the kind of DP they are looking for. This is a cinematography board, after all, not Yahoo Personals or something.

it would just be nice for things to be on the up-and-up, wouldn't it? I don't see the harm in that, and would help seperate the legitimate opportunities from the posers.

Edited by PatrickNeary

They're probably trying to keep a low profile since they're non-union, which can cause hassles in/around NYC.

However there are plenty of little things about Palladin's request that would make me hesitant.

Why are they 'Not looking for cutting edge cinematography?' I mean, why exclude anybody when you're scrambling to find a camera department in three weeks.

The whole 'Five picture deal' sounds fishy. What is 'deep direction'?

The 'credits that can be rented' comment sounds amateur to me. There's no mention of sending reels or demos.

If I was a NYC DP and my schedule was open in July/August I?d probably email them and ask some questions, but otherwise it feels like a dead end.