Impossible Project on 35mm

Doug Palmer

A 35mm documentary for cinema is being made about the Impossible Project.

Jens Meurer:

My film is about being analog in a digital age. As that relates to our relationship with technology, but also as it relates to the choices we make in our lives. It's about values. The value in slowing down for a second, considering your action. Value embodied in real things: Photographs, books, music, art, poetry, vinyl, film, letters, slow food.

There's a Kickstarter campaign !

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/738411595/the-impossible-project-the-film

35mm trailer https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/738411595/the-impossible-project-the-film/description

This is a film about values. How the relationship with technology mirrors the choices we make in our lives. The value in slowing down for a second, considering your action. Value embodied in real things: Photographs, books, music, art, poetry, vinyl, film, letters, slow food. Following two decades of digital revolution, people seem to yearn for something "else": something warm, emotional, unpredictable. Things you can touch and that touch you.

• Premium Member

Nice, I love the project. I think shooting on 35mm is very cool and in a lot of ways, capturing the movie with an analog format is kinda critical isn't it.

I think the trailer does a much better job at "selling" the project. Where I enjoyed your promo piece, the trailer feels like it should be your main video on kickstarter.

A few questions...

3 perf 35mm?

How did you conduct the interviews on film with such short film loads?

How much film have you shot so far?

Nice, I love the project. I think shooting on 35mm is very cool and in a lot of ways, capturing the movie with an analog format is kinda critical isn't it.

I think the trailer does a much better job at "selling" the project. Where I enjoyed your promo piece, the trailer feels like it should be your main video on kickstarter.

A few questions...

3 perf 35mm?

I'm not involved with this film. Just helping to spread the word for Jens Meurer. You should ask him probably via Kickstarter. Its interesting he's getting the processing done at Andec in Berlin, which is the excellent lab many of us in Europe use for S.8 and 16. I hadn't realised they did 35 neg as well.

A few questions...

3 perf 35mm?

Not associated with the "impossible" film, but I saw your question; I just finished a documentary short shot on 35mm and I conducted a number of the interviews using 400ft 35mm loads... my experience was it was just like shooting on film in general, requiring alot of pre-planning and really formulating pointed, specific questions... depending on the person sometimes I'd ask the questions once without the film, and then a second time, shooting film on the second run. This allowed the interviewee to focus their thoughts. I averaged 3-4 rolls in any given interview.

After watching the trailer....

The polaroid is a photochemical device that basically denies the user the physical intimacy with process. But one can enjoy an abstracted sense of the "analogue". Perhaps the polaroid is one of the things that ushered in electronic images? People aquire the idea that one can have the results without being connected to what enabled those results. Like enjoying the warmth of the fire without chopping wood or burning wood, and so forth.

I love the potential for this project. I hope they dig deeply into their subject. The trailer suggests that they are at risk, emotionalizing and underthinking their subject.

After watching the trailer....

The polaroid is a photochemical device that basically denies the user the physical intimacy with process. But one can enjoy an abstracted sense of the "analogue". Perhaps the polaroid is one of the things that ushered in electronic images? People aquire the idea that one can have the results without being connected to what enabled those results. Like enjoying the warmth of the fire without chopping wood or burning wood, and so forth.

I love the potential for this project. I hope they dig deeply into their subject. The trailer suggests that they are at risk, emotionalizing and underthinking their subject.

I hope they delve into the question also of why we humans seem to continue wanting analog images in a digital world.

• Premium Member

Because humans are analog beings. Heck, everything we do digitally is a "translation" of something to a digital form and back again for us to use. It's only made efficient thanks to computer technology, otherwise we'd still be using analog today for everything.

So it's more of a fascination with "technologies" which are made for humans to absorb; books, paintings, photochemical processes, records/tapes, etc.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Analog means as, like, said. It’s a totally inapplicable word for expressing the opposite to digital.

Digital is completely inappropriate for what is really meant, binary-numeric. The Latin word digitus means finger. Counting by the fingers

Film is tangible, everything numeric is disembodied. We’d better use these words.

Shooting 35mm is not cool, it’s hot. I love to stir up with old expressions. Remember the seventies when everything was hot? I do. Shooting 35mm is cinema itself since 1893. Nobody said it’s cool or hot in 1930.

I prefer the negative-positive process to Polaroıd.

• Upvote 1