Cp-16r video tap w/raspi cam possible?

Jay Young

• Premium Member

I've decided to make my CP as useful as possible, for whatever projects it might be used on.

My camera has the video tap port on top, which I can't seem to remove as I think it's been painted on...

Anyhow, I don't feel the video tap solution commercially available is worth the money, as I don't feel the camera system is worth more than the video tap would be (+$1500).

My initial thought is to use a single board computer, such as a RasPi or oDroid and camera unit to relay a video signal - this could potentially be wireless with streaming over wifi. I would much rather just use an HDMI to monitor, but the potential is there.

3D print a housing for the camera to position it at the appropriate distance from the ground glass, and power it from the camera battery, with embedded software that just displays the camera.

If I could find a SONY CCD module at a decent price (even black and white) I feel that could be used instead of worrying about an embedded system single board computer. However those Sony cameras tend to be more expensive than the raspi/camera combo.

That said, I'm game to create my own video tap solution but I wondered if anyone else had any thoughts?

That said, I'm game to create my own video tap solution but I wondered if anyone else had any thoughts?

• 4 years later...

You may find that the little hatch on the top of the camera has become glued in by magnesuim corrosion and a gasket underneath. YOu may find a 1/3"CCD security camera and 25mm C-mount lens with one or more plastic CS-Mount to C-Mount spacers will do the job for you. You may need to get a semitransparent mirror piece to replace the viewfinder relay mirror inside the camera body. 

• Premium Member

my CP16R has a hole under the small top plate which reveals the fibre screen through some kind of beamsplitter prism. One can attach a suitable video camera directly there by removing that cover plate and adding suitable optics to the video camera to get the screen image magnified enough and in focus. I am just making a small 1/3" hdmi camera to work in this application. 

The cover plate had a light sealing gasket which was installed with extremely sticky adhesive and the only way I could get it open was to take the motor side cover off and pressing the top plate from underneath with screwdriver until I got it moving. So it may be more work than just removing the screws holding it down. But if your camera already has the basic splitter like mine has, then installing the actual camera should be easy enough when using enough time to test the relay optics you have available and when machining a suitable holder for the actual video camera