Need Panavision HD 900F color profiles

Dana Gonzales

Hello

Does anybody have or know where to get some Panavision HD 900F color profiles that I can test out to start as a base.

I want to preset some looks in the camera. I am most likely going to desaturate the color and boost highlights. I know how to do this in the camera but if their was some other color profiles I could test that would be great.

Yes i know I can do some of this later, but I would like to light with this look on the monitor.

Thanks in advance

Dana Gonzales

thank you for your reply. I am trying not to get into the Color Matrix unless I have to. If someboby has profiles that have atltered color matrix I would like to check them out.

I am trying to set some exterior and interior looks for a Feature Film I am shooting.

Going to deep in the color matrix is a big commitment as it is hard to come back if taken to far.

Regards,

Dana Gonzales

• Premium Member

I don't understand what you mean by a "color profile".

The only things you can do to alter color in the camera (besides filters, etc.) that doesn't involve manually adjusting the Color Matrix are basic things like playing with the RGB gain levels (which is how white balancing works). You can also adjust the Saturation level on the /3 version.

And there are some preset Matrix tables like the ITU-709 color space, but there are only like five options and you can easily cycle through them if you want to see what they look like. And they don't do much other than some are a little more saturated than others. Most people either turn the Matrix off, or use the more saturated ITU-709 preset.

The Color Matrix is the only way of creating different looks to the color really besides just white balancing tricks, camera filters, etc.

This is not a DVX100 with some preset looks that you can select.

Get a Sony Paintbox so you can play with the Matrix more easily while looking at the image on a monitor.

What I mean by color profiles are if someone like your self tested some looks and had the settings that refer to dfferent looks, I could input these settings and use thenm as a base for creating the saved profiles that I will use on the film.

If these all deal with the color matrix so be it. I am just looking for some help as this will be my first time altering the default setting in the camera.

I have spoke to my friend Paul Cameron and have talked about the Matrix but I do not have the time to commit to that now. If somebody has notes on looks that would help a lot.

It would be a good place to start.

Regards,

Dana Gonzales

• Premium Member

Wouldn't it be better to have a look in mind and then manipulate the camera to get it?

You have full control over the primary and secondary colors with the Matrix, plus you have a wide range of adjustments to gamma, black gamma, etc.

I mean, in every setting, your choices are generally from -99 to +99... that's like 200 degrees of adjustment possible just for a shade of magenta or yellow, for example.

You should start out with an idea for a look that suites your story, then spend some time in prep with a paintbox and maybe a tech standing by, and find the look you want, then write down the settings that the paintbox creates. If you're really that scared of playing around with the camera menus, you should hire a DIT or someone to help you.

You want a brownish-yellow, desaturated look with high contrast and deep blacks, for example, you can fiddle around until you get something you like.

Personally, I'd only do this for a commercial or music video; for a feature, since a full color-correction will happen anyway at the end of post, I don't alter the camera settings too much if in general, the movie is meant to have a normal look.

I'm just saying that there are potentially thousands of subtle color looks possible with the camera so I'm not sure what someone else's old menu settings would be of use for you. You should start out with a clear artistic conceit for the look and then figure out what was the most effective way of getting that look technically -- it may be in-camera, with filters or lighting, or in post, but probably all three. With all the ways the camera can be adjusted, you have to narrow your options down first. Do you want a high-con look? A low-con look? A saturated look? A desaturated look? A warm look? A cold look? Strong reds? Weak reds? And on and on and on...

You said you wanted a desaturated look with "boosted" highlights (as in overexposed highlights? -- that's easy with HD...) and you said that you already know how to do that, so I'm not sure what you want to know.

I don't know if you know Sean Fairburn, but he likes to create lots of looks in the camera and I'm sure he could share some with you, but honestly, he'd probably just ask you what I asked you, which is what do you want the image to look like.

• Premium Member

You will most likely have to get into the Matrix if you want to do anything to your colors, you can desaturate the image without the matrix, but you have more control when you do go through the matrix because you can set how much you want to desaturate each color.

The best thing to do would be to sit down with a DIT in a controlled environment, some color charts, and a model, and slowly adjust each variable until you have what you want.

I find this to be the best thing to do before every shoot.