Running 240V 4K HMI off 16A 3P - Possible?

Hi everyone,

A quick question:

I'm in 240V land!

I'd like to run a 4k par.

I only have a 240v 16A 3-phase outlet on location. No genny currently.

Normally I would juice the 4k with a 32A 1P cable from a distro and bob's your uncle, since the 4K would draw roughly 20A at 240V.

I was told by a gaffer friend of mine that if the wiring is correct - it's possible to run a 4k hmi fixture of this 16A 3P outlet with a cable converter from 16A-3P to 32A-1P.

I trust the guy, but I'm not entirely sure why this should work, has anyone worked this setup (reminder: 240v land) and can confirm that?

• Premium Member

I'm not entirely sure why this should work

Neither am I. What's his explanation? With no transformer involved, I'm not sure how this is going to work other than by running the 4K load off one phase of the 16A and hoping that 16x240=3840 is close enough to 4000 to work. Which it might be. For a while. Maybe. And the mains won't actually be 240, so you don't even get that.

Personally, I wouldn't.

P

The guy was on set so we didn't get to discuss it much, that's why I'm asking.
What you wrote were my thoughts as well, but this solution really sounded unreliable.

But when I think of it, It's a 2.5K/4K fixture, so maybe I grab both bulbs and give it a try? Worst case I go back to 2.5K which was the original plan...

Edited by Gleb Volkov

Hey Shachar!
You mean regular household outlets?
I don't really have the time to build and test that properly, but just out of curiosity - how would you go about that?

We have to make sure the distribution of load is roughly equal in order for it to be stable, don't we? Not something I can DIY at home, I sense...

theoretical info only!!!

You mean regular household outlets?

yes

phase to phase voltage = 0V (same phase) use a fluke for testing.

use regular household outlets that use different "16C Circuit Breaker"

connect the phases.

connect the N(0).

you will need to put together a protection system so no one will die. an electrician can do it.

• Premium Member

I have done the 3-phase 16A to 32A for 4K par thing numerous times, never had a problem with it. the arrisun had a 3-phase input though. I have even used a 16A to 32A adapter with a 150m of 32A cable and a 4K and had no striking problems or anything.

if using the one phase model it surely won't work and will blow up some fuses though.

Using a 2.5K on a single 16A 240v is very common here and will always work so maybe just changing the bulb to 2.5K so you can manage with a single schuko?

I have done the 3-phase 16A to 32A for 4K par thing numerous times, never had a problem with it. the arrisun had a 3-phase input though.

That's interesting! You mean you had 32A 3P input? Why would it have that?

The backup plan is using the 2.5K bulb, I'm trying to figure if I can push it or not.