Question for Dominic Case

peter bartle

Hello,

This question is mostly for Dominic Case but would like answers also from any other Australian Film Industry people.

How did you get into the Australian Film Industry? Did you work on features, etc or is your background mostly on processing? Whats your opinion on the Australian Film Industry & do you have an advice for young up-comers?

FYI- some info on me to help answer your questions. 24 yrs old, have trade certificate as a Camera Repair Technician (4 yr apprenticeship- 3 yrs post trade) Currently working casual shifts for TV station as trainee cam-op & assistant. Currently making 2 shorts for Australian film festivals & looking into doing film camera assisting/focus pulling.

Thank You...

How did you get into the Australian Film Industry?

Well it was a very long time ago (sigh), and I actually started in the UK film industry. I set out to get into cinematography, but it all got too hard (Union problems for one thing, it was really important, but also impossible, to get a card) so I got a job in a lab in order to join the union and then look for camera assistant/loader jobs from there. The lab turned out to be interesting and more secure and I stayed. When I came to Australia I simply applied for lab jobs here.

I've worked on a few productions, either working with the DoP on special processes or techniques (learnt from years in the lab), or in post, espcially in the days when non-linear editing was replacing cutting on film (again, bringing specific knowledge and skills not commonly found outside the lab). But mostly I've been based in the labs, liaising with DoPs, editors etc.

So my experience isn't really relevant - except to say that you get jobs based on what you have already proved you can do, and (probably just as importantly) on having the right contacts. So it's a lot of small steps. It sounds as though you are making all the right ones: your trade cert is the best basis to build on, it always helps if you know the equipment. The festival films will also be useful: they give you good material for you reel, but also give you the opportunity to have your work seen, and to meet other filmmakers.

What type of problems did you have with the UK film industry? Are you from the UK or did you leave Australia to go there?

As i'm on the other side of the country (W.A.) is there much AC work you know of on the East Coast?

Many people I know tell me i'm crazy for wanting to do AC work but I think its an important job....

No I'm from the UK originally. I came to Australia for personal reasons not work ones - but it turned out to be just at the time the Australian industry was booming, and by that time I was ingrained into lab work, and had no trouble getting work here.

You might get a better idea of what opportunities there are here in NSW by contacting the ACS, or maybe one of the booking services such as Auscrew or Top Technicians.