Arri template film cutter?

Nguyen D. Nguyen

I'm not sure exactly what it's called, but I read through my arri iic handbook and came across a really nifty looking device that makes threading an arri displacement mag a lot easier.

It's basically a flat tool with two grooves on each side. You cut each side off using the template, and it'll create a "leader" piece of film at the front of the roll to make threading a whole lot easier (since the arri displacement mag is a bit picky about threading badly cut perforations).

Does anyone know where to find this thing, how much it costs, or what it's called exactly?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I disagree - I have one and recently had some serious loading problems with the new 500D Fuji stock.

In fact this is the second time I have had issues with badly cut edges on new Fuji 500D film out of the can

So we had to seal the cans again with film inside then put the cutter in the tent... it makes accurate cutting of film easy when in the bag

If you cut through a perf on film - it will often jam the roller or feeder mech in a mag - with this tool you can only cut correctly

Good loaders often carry one and leave it in the tent

thanks

Rolfe

• 2 months later...
HI

The "thing" you are talking about is called feedcuter (translation from German). It looks useful but its not. Maybe I can dig out one from bailsman if you rely need one.

Could you email me? Maybe we can work it out. From my experience actually, the device is pretty useful.

(nguyendneyugn@yahoo.com)