New Canon C700 camera

Brian Drysdale

• Premium Member

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-details/2016/20160901-EOS-C700/20160901-EOS-C700

Sounds like there's a 12-bit processor since that's one of the recording options. I didn't see anything about a 10-bit processor, which would be unlikely if the camera generates 14 or 15 stops of DR.

• Premium Member

This white paper on the C500 says that Canon won't disclose the bit depth of its A/D processor, though on some of their still cameras, a 14-bit A/D processor is listed. The paper does say that for 4K recording, you are limited to 10-bit Log, but for 2K and HD recording, you can get 12-bit Log:

http://learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/white_papers/White_Paper_originatinghighqualityc500.pdf

It's interesting that they are referring to 10-bit log RAW not RGB -- I know that the Alexa stores raw data in 12-bit log from a 16-bit container fed from the two 14-bit A/D converters on their dual-gain photosite sensor, so I guess two 14-bit files are combined into a 16-bit file and then stored as a 12-bit log file...

• Premium Member

Canon has an up hill battle with this camera, the more I read, the more I wonder what it's purpose is.

What we do know is that the body is $38k for PL mount. That's a very different price bracket then their current flagship model.

It's also a pretty big camera, clearly borrowing styling cues from the F5/55. A lot bigger then their current flagship model.

Honestly, I don't know if Canon can compete at that level. With used Alexa's dropping in price and a complete RED Dragon package being less then just the body of this new Canon, it's seemingly directly competing in the "I need a single system" camera market, which is already flooded with cameras, half it's price. Sure the C700 seems to do everything, but that in of itself is a red flag. I wonder if they're taking a page from Blackmagic and making an expensive/larger version first and then releasing a mini version next? C600 @ NAB? :P

In the UK its $38,000 for the GS model.. and not much less for the other.. body only.. £29,000 /£27,000... EVF is $7,000 in the UK £5,245.. (priority plug) thats close to the price of the Fs7 just for the VF..( of course you could get a Zacuto one).. you can also get a F55 for $29,000 (US price)

Seems not enough a little too late.. and over priced, to me personally.. at these prices I think people will go for an Amira/F55.. or a little more for an Alexa mini.. cropping the sensor for anything over 60fps is odd..even an F5 gives you the choice up to 180fps..

It doesn't support 2x Anamorphic.. which seems short sighted as its being pushed for that market too.. and even now it looks like a 1980,s small portable cassette player to me.. its just not sexy..

Not really a good week for Canon.. the 5D Mk4 has been laughed out of the room.. now this hugely over priced falling between two chairs beast.. but they do have a great color science.. but not sure its worth $45,000 (UK).. before you even have a cheese plate or shoulder rig..hopefully the handle and mic bracket are included..

I think they should have totally scrapped the C300I and II...and made a sort of F5/Fs7 version of this camera.. which at least resembles a camera.. and a F55/Amira version.. and if they want ,an open gate,all bells and whistles version..

And yes any Canon top brass reading this.. Im available for consultation work.. :).. corner office and driver..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• Premium Member

I think Canon's development cycle is 3 years. It seems they're always 3 years behind everyone else.

Had the C700 been a specialty camera, like an 8k VistaVision size imager... that's a different story. They could have just updated the C300MKII with all the bells and whistles the 4k C700 has.

Yes but maybe limitations of the C300 design.. no room for LCD screen ...quick access button design.. (which Sony lifted from Arri) let alone hanging a RAW recorder off the back.. dials all on the back of the C300,s..

Stills camera designers in the first place.. they probably wanted to put the VF on the top so you had to look down on it on the original C300 design..

Interestingly I see that the card slots are on the dumb side of the camera.. Something that Arri cleverly changed for the Amira for the doc/corp market.. implying the C700 is not directed for this market at all.. no one is wanting to have cards on the dumb side unless you have an assistant to deal with them.. then they are up against Alexa/RED.. open gate/6K .. etc.. they are way too late for that boat .. I wonder how this camera will sell.. I predict a big price reduction..