Recommended filters

Jim Moore

I've been getting by with a whopping 3 filters, an 85, ND4 and an ND8. I shoot mostly 35mm and I was wondering if there are any other filters I should consider, possibly a contrast or a pro mist filter? maybe something entirely different?

I can't say I would need a warming filter as I can do that in editing, or is the effect that much different that I should consider a warming filer of some sorts?

JIm

• Premium Member

I saw the new Tiffen "Sunset" graduated sort of warming filter and it looked very nice, for specific uses of course.

I almost never use an 85.

I tend to travel with ND.3, .6, and .9 - Pro Mists are nice, but I hardly use them, I do use nets tho. To each his own I guess.

I do own an E81 warming filter, but I've never found a real reason to use it.

Now a nice haze filter can do wonders for plate work. 00 Frost? Old school, but it works.

• Premium Member

I use more 81 and 81C filters than 85 /85B, it is more practical for me because the full correction is most of the time not necessary when I use them but higher exposure may be. like when shooting dusk shots or in the shade with cold sky ambience and relatively low light levels. net filters are nice if you can avoid bokeh issues they create. nowadays I use nose grease/vaseline filters in place of promists and nets most of the time but the 1/8 and 1/4 promists are great in some situations

I think I've used my 85 twice. But I keep it because I know in some situations I will need it. The ProMists are nice, but I'm still confused on which one to get since I can only justify one and there are a lot to choose from.

I've never seen the net before, I looked it up and it seems interesting. I guess this is the modern version of pantyhose stretched over the front element? ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I want to increase some highlights in the background which comes trough little wholes in a wall. (light is bounced)

I want to create the effect that the light glow's . The mood of the scene is dark.

Which filter would you recommend ?

regards
Paul