Pulsating grain from one roll of 500T Vision 3

Kip Kubin

Here's the situation.

All stock bought from Kodak directly.

Shot a music video with an Arri SR2 with new stock from Kodak - No problems

Shot 2 additional mags of short ends on an Aaton XTR - Stock about 2 years old - Refrigerated

One short end - 50 ft - No problem other than a slightly higher amount of grain than the Arri Rolls

The other has an issue - the grain pulsates - it's constant in its pulsing or and the grain is substantially more blue in the shadows than the previous roll.

By pulsating I mean it comes and goes at consistent fast intervals - its there - it fades out - it's there again

Can't post a clip as its for a major label and the material is unreleased.

Has anyone seen this before? Im just trying to avoid it in the future. Im assuming its the age of the stock - and possible mishandling but could it also be camera related?

Thanks

• Premium Member

if it's intensifying/fading every turn of the roll then it might be temperature damage or pressure sensitization. if a roll is stored for example in the fridge in a way that one side of the roll is much warmer than then other and it's like that for long time then it may do this kind of damage: other side of the roll ages faster than the other. I have had this kind of problem in some eBay rolls but otherwise not that common. I rarely store rolls for more than two years after purchase though so if yours was very old it is easier for it to generate this kind of problem.

X-ray damage is normally faster pulsing which may "sweep" across the image as far as I have seen