Why is Canon "glass" considered slow?

George Ebersole

• Premium Member

So they guys at Mike's Camera, all ex-professionals, were telling me that most top brands are pretty much just as good as the next, and that "Canon glass" is not "slow".

So, I'm wondering why the opposite opinion seems to be held on these forums. What experience has made the Cinematography.Com crowd say that Canon lenses to grab as much light?

Thanks much for any reply.

• Premium Member

Depends on your definition of slow. A lot of people consider two stops to be the difference between fast and slow. An F1.5 prime vs F3.5 zoom for instance.

Most of the Canon zoom lenses are between F3 and F4, so they're not exactly "fast". Also, most of the longer zooms, get slower as you zoom. So full wide they maybe F3, but zoomed in, they're more like F4.5.

Also, Canon DSLR zooms are not parfocal. If you zoom all the way in on a subject, get focus and zoom out, they won't retain that focus. This is one many character traits that make DSLR glass more tricky to use with video.

Kit lens EF zooms from any manufacturer tend to be in the f3.5 - 5.6 range. Canon L series are mostly f2.8, as are the more expensive offerings from Tokina, Tamron and Sigma. Primes are faster, in the f1.4 - f2 range for EF primes and faster for L series.

Remember, an F stop is a mathematical value; the actual amount of light transmitted (t-stop) can vary according to the glass, coatings, and construction of the lens, so it's likely that more expensive lenses will perform better in this regard.

• Premium Member

You're kidding ... I feel I should have known that ... but it's like if Fujinon makes their stuff with back focus for ENG, why not prosumer gear? I never thought to wonder about Panaflex or Arri.

Oh well. I'll live with it. I guess part of the fun of camera work if finding a work around ... sometimes.

I think its only the CN7 and the Fujinon Cabrio,s .. that are both ENG style servo zooms that has BF adjustments.. in the "higher" end Cine zoom level.. and yes the CN7 focus marks are not up to focus puller level really or the Cab,s.. although their literature will tell you otherwise.... but really they are not for that market..and more owner users than those $80K full on Cine zooms that are from rental houses..