Is my camera useless? and other questions (exposure)

Camelia Celeste

Hi everyone, first post here. Glad to be in a forum like this.

I have a project due in a few days (Super 8 B&W reversal roll 200T) and my camera (Nikon Super Zoom 8) isn't showing what the automatic exposure is. I'm sure it works, it's just the dial isn't moving in any direction when I check for the exposure (it's stationary between stop 2 and 4).

​I really need to do this project, but it really is too late to rent a camera tomorrow.

What do I do? Can I ballpark the exposure? More or less what would the exposure be (outdoors) from bright light to under the shade of a tree to dusk?

Just need at least something to show up.

• Premium Member

Nevermind. The camera didn't even develop the cartridge

*sigh* waste of money.

I am not sure what you could mean by this problem description.

Have you done some desktop research on the myriad of Super 8 How To websites, YouTube tutorials, and how to do basic light meter reading and adjusting exposure on any camera ever made, be they photo or cine film?

Best, /-M

Nevermind. The camera didn't even develop the cartridge

*sigh* waste of money. And now I get a zero in my project.

Do you mean the camera didn't expose the film, that it was black when you got it back from the lab?

Or that the camera didn't move the film and there wasn't the text "exposed" on the end of the film?

If you didn't mean any of those, you do know that the film has to be sent to a lab for processing -- you can't just take the film out of the cartridge after exposing it?

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I can empathise with people to whom things can be difficult to understand at first if one is new to something

But I must also say that recently, here in this forum, the line becomes really difficult to draw between assessing whether someone is a troll and out to tie us up, or really a person so substantially uninformed yet equally unwilling to first engage with the most basis concepts and processes ubiquitiously accessible on the Internet and in print libraries with incredibly low barriers of entry, that the questions posed in this forum are actually genuine.

Anyway, needed to put this down onto a digital canvas. :huh:

Do you mean the camera didn't expose the film, that it was black when you got it back from the lab?

Or that the camera didn't move the film and there wasn't the text "exposed" on the end of the film?

If you didn't mean any of those, you do know that the film has to be sent to a lab for processing -- you can't just take the film out of the cartridge after exposing it?

If the film didn't advance (easy test, put a Sharpie line on the film) and you can hear the motor run, it could be as simple as a broken belt. If you can find an electronics repair (TV, VCR) they might have a belt to fit.

Can't borrow a camera from another student?

I have not sent it out to process yet.

The film isn't being exposed by the camera. I made a mark on one of the frames and it doesn't move so there's something wrong with the mechanism of the cartridge slot. So I need a good full repair of the camera itself, it seems.