Mic Locker Thread

Max Field

Audio Technica AT-875r and Rode NTG-4. I also have a four channel wireless system from Audio Technica known as System 10 Pro, attached to those are 4 x Countryman B3's.

Between the 875r and the NTG-4, I'd say the 875 is better for indoor and the NTG-4 for outdoors or when you need to pick up sounds from a long way away. The System 10 is there mostly to capture dialogue on wide shots where a boom would not be practical. Never had any trouble with the System 10 pro's, despite them being 2.4GHz.

• Premium Member

It doesn't sound low quality, it just doesn't have nearly as much output as more modern devices, which I guess you could call a cut in quality given increased noise. Nothing outrageously wrong with it, though. I don't think the technology has massively changed.

• 7 months later...

I have about three quarters of my microphones listed here (I don't update it often enough... & I leave off the total crap junk I've purchased in the past, but still keep around for the hell of it as not worth anything anyway):

http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/

Quick copy and paste:

Sanken CS-3e.
Sennheiser MKH-416.
Sennheiser ME66/K6 super-cardioid microphone with Rycote Softie.
Sennheiser ME64/K6.
RØDE NTG2 shotgun microphone.
Aputure Deity shotgun microphone.
2x Oktava MK-012 hypercardioid microphone.
Samson C02 cardioid microphone.

• 8 months later...

It's 4 in the morning and I'm giving up on life. So mine:

-SM57

-SM7B

-AT4047

-MKH416

-Neumann KMS-105

-Neumann TLM-102

-Blue Kiwi

-EV 635a

I joined the forum for the express purpose of commenting on your EV 635a I've got one I bought new over 40 years ago. It's been through hell and back, even got dropped into a stream once. Still works! Love the darn thing.

I was an audiophile and soldering nerd way before photography...

MKH-50 - speaks for itself

Shure KSM137 pair - stereo matched pair, knockoff of the Schoeps 41 but not as delicate

Sanken CSR-2 - because I don't like to hear myself on the onboard when shooting a doc

Sanken COS-11 - because I'm not good with lavs, this works and sounds good even in my hands

CAD M179 - because I got to play art department and select a "space" looking mic

CAD E100s - one of the best sounding mics ever

MXL V69 Mogami - cheap, lush tube mic craigslist find great for harsher-voices

Sennheiser MD421 -

Sennheiser MD431 - Because it's so cool and legendary

Beyerdynamic M88TG - Makes most voices sound HUGE. Blind listen sounds better than RE20 or SM7 for dynamic mic VO

DPA 4061 lav - sounds better than the cos11 but harder to use

• 3 weeks later...

Sanken CSR-2 - because I don't like to hear myself on the onboard when shooting a doc

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that one before, seems like kinda a fusion of the Sanken CS3e and the CS2

Sanken COS-11 - because I'm not good with lavs, this works and sounds good even in my hands

DPA 4061 lav - sounds better than the cos11 but harder to use

What do you find harder about the DPA?

Edited by David Peterson

Exactly, CS2 front capsule, CS3 rear-lobe subtraction trickery. I think the 2 sounds sweeter than the 3, so it's a good little hybrid. I literally only use it for doc onboard, but it has a super tight pattern and essentially no rear pickup so it's a world better than mkh60/416 in the same usage.

I am all thumbs when it comes to hiding lavs, on the rare occasion I ever have to. But while the DPA is definitely much nicer sounding than the sanken, the cable transmits a lot more noise than the cos11, so it's definitely better in the hands of someone in the audio world who has the technique and practice.

I own two of the CSR-2 - originally purchased them for camera top use, but often find themselves on the end of a boom pole these days too.

I'll play... my complete list (not all production sound use)...

Countryman B3 x4

Countryman B6 x2

DPA 4060 x2

DPA 4060-SLIM x2

EV RE-20

EV RE-50

EV RE-50N/D

Neumann KMS-105

Neumann U87i (1972 Klaus Heyne modified)

Royer SF-1 x2

Sanken COS-11D x6

Sanken CSR-2

Sennheiser Ambeo

Sennheiser MKH-8050

Sennheiser MKH-8060

Shure 520DX

Shure SM57 x2

Shure SM58 x6

Shure SM77

If I could buy one more microphone today, it would be the Pearl MSH10

Tom! Any luck with the surf-proof mic experiments???

The most waterproof equipment when it comes to saltwater is cheap equipment that is acceptable to get trashed. That being said, Countryman B3 mics are relatively durable, inexpensive, and water resistant. There are a few custom caps for them that certain shows use to increase their water resistance (oh yeah, not openly available for sale - so people with fabrication or 3D printing might be able to experiment on their own) - I have a couple, and as best I can tell it is more or less a standard cap that is slightly smaller diameter to be tighter and maybe the mesh pattern is a bit tighter. Other than that, after the challenge of getting your mic to survive the water, is to make it so it actually picks up sound. When a water bead is on the capsule, it effectively mutes it makes only a super muffled sound. Getting the water to "clear" is the secret to getting usable audio. There are tricks, like positioning the mic "down", treating it with chemical water repellants, strategic positioning of wicking materials, etc. At the end of the day, with the best equipment and strategies, it all comes down to a bit of luck. Also you have to consider the format of the shoot. If it is sports or reality TV and only intelligibility is required, then just waterproofing the entire mic works - because it doesn't have to sound natural.

Edited by Tom Visser