My First Feature

Max Field

• Premium Member

No problem, Macks. I grew up in the 80s/90s, (I'm 33) but was a little too old for Pokemon. I was very aware of it and it's place in pop culture, but had no interest in it; was for kids, etc. It was kinda like Twilight for me: juvenile and ubiquitous, so most of my enjoyment of it comes from mocking or subverting it, which is why I think I liked your exercise and gave it a chance. I imagine that fans of the original show/toys/etc. would like it though. Nostalgia is very big business at the moment; new spins on the old familiar.

"Mystery Science Theater 3000" was also a very formative part of my youth. Commentary and satire of media can be more interesting as the media itself. I'm a big fan of RedLetterMedia and their epic reviews, etc. That's probably a little too much info, hope it helps.

Tristan

"In Woody Allen's directorial debut, he took the Japanese action film Key of Keys (1965) and re-dubbed it, changing the plot to make it revolve around a secret egg salad recipe."

I don't see how what you're doing is the same thing? First off the co-director on What's Up Tiger Lilly was Senkichi Taniguchi, who was the director of the Japanese version, Key of Keys. So clearly this was a full collaboration between Allen and Taniguchi.

Allen didn't just rip off someone else's movie and do whatever he felt like with it.

R,

How would you know I didn't change the plot? Change the themes? etc?

And let's be real, the Japanese "co-director" feels like a happy "oh no hard feelings" publicity thing, do you specifically know what Taniguchi's significant contributions were to the film? Cause every bit of the screenplay had Woody written all over it.

Now if you're getting back into legality; I've said multiple times that we both have the same interpretation of the written law in agreement.

"Mystery Science Theater 3000" was also a very formative part of my youth.

Funny you say that, 2 of the 5 writers were MST3K fans.

How would you know I didn't change the plot? Change the themes? etc?

And let's be real, the Japanese "co-director" feels like a happy "oh no hard feelings" publicity thing, do you specifically know what Taniguchi's significant contributions were to the film? Cause every bit of the screenplay had Woody written all over it.

Now if you're getting back into legality; I've said multiple times that we both have the same interpretation of the written law in agreement.

What level of collaboration did you have with the creators of the cartoons you used?

R,

What level of collaboration did you have with the creators of the cartoons you used?

R,

Talked with some original actors on their roles for advice. To me, that's zero collaboration. And I'll also believe Allen had no real head bumping collaboration with the original director until further evidence is presented.

I'm curious as to where you got that original quote you posted, was there any elaboration on what the stated co-director actually did for WA's '66 production? What if they simply credited him for the visuals? I had all of the Japanese animators credited on mine.

It's not my cup of tea, but then again there is no such thing as entertainment that appeals to everyone. I mostly like SciFi, Fantasy, and Horror - so my opinion should bot be assumed to mean your work is not good.

As for the whole rip-off thing: Plenty of things get ripped off. Heck, the Scary Movie franchise makes its money by ripping off others movies. Yes, it's a little different here in that Scary Movie actually uses their own content, but we are mostly talking about different levels of 'rip off' here.

As for the whole rip-off thing: Plenty of things get ripped off. Heck, the Scary Movie franchise makes its money by ripping off others movies. Yes, it's a little different here in that Scary Movie actually uses their own content, but we are mostly talking about different levels of 'rip off' here.

Ah but Landon, surely you know there is a huge difference between parody, which is protected speech and not considered a copyright infringement, and what has been done here. They are not in the same universe, legally or creatively.

R,

• Premium Member

I remember watching the Double Take shows in Sydney in the late 80s where they did live (often impro) overdubs of old Italian B movies, which eventually got turned into a feature film called "Hercules Returns". They just bought the rights to the original film, I believe, then did what they liked with it. The team behind "The Castle" and "The Dish" did a similar thing with a 70s Aussie cop drama which they overdubbed as "Bargearse" during their 90s TV comedy series. Both are cult classics now.

These days YouTube is full of this stuff, some better than others. I quite enjoyed Darth Trump, which is pretty much what it sounds like - Trump sound bites dubbed over Star Wars footage. Or the many fake trailers where snippets of an old film are dubbed with completely different music, turning The Shining for example into a sweet father/son relationship drama. Often hilarious stuff. I'm curious about the legal standing of this sort of material since much of it does not get taken down. Does this come under the banner of parody, and therefore escapes copyright? Or is there some other fair use clause at work?

What's particularly galling here Dom is that everyone else on this forum does their own work. Either shooting, directing, producing, it's their own work.

Fair use BTW is dramatically overrated. I hear this term a lot from younger doc makers, oh we're just poor filmmakers they say, and we're not using this for commercial usage they will say. None of that is "fair use."

Maybe I'm more sensitive because my work is stolen on-line 24/7.

R,

are people doing anything with your features other than "Watch this for free"?

Not yet. But eventually someone will dub over lines that the dog is thinking.

Against The Wild 2.

Boy

The plane is crashing.

Pilot

Brace yourselves.

Dog

(thoughts in head)

Oh poop not this again!@!@

R,

Some of those Hitler Bunker dubs have been really funny.. loved the 5D one... thats become a whole "cult" by itself.. I wonder if the makers of the original very serious film ever sued.. I think impossible as its been done so many times.. and maybe just take it as some sort of publicity..?

I think impossible as its been done so many times.. and maybe just take it as some sort of publicity..?

The point I was sort of making to begin with. In the 11 years of Youtube's existence, I have been waiting on a legitimate legal case where a user, not the website, lost a lawsuit for doing something like the Hitler subtitle videos. On the contrary, I HAVE seen the corporate owners of various parodies embrace the internet studios rather than take legal action.

Again I do NOT claim this is the written law, but how I've seen it enforced within communities of millions.

Well yes in my case it was some suites at Nat Geo.. just after the Big Rup took over.. no coincidence I think.. taking down a 30 sec clip off a locked private website that I has shot myself.. .. WTF.. sorry still pissed off about it !..

Speaking of Sydney.. way back a radio station triple J.. did a piss take sports commentaries .. while the event was on live on TV.. one of the funniest things to ever happen on the planet.. Tv companies didnt complain.. and actually I guess anyway no law was actually broken..

I can see Richards side.. a straight out just showing of their work without permission must be really annoying.. but if say like the Bunker video,s.. its actually been changed to be something else.. whether you actually find it funny or not.. is just the nature of the internet today.. same happened with music.. like trying to hold back the tide..

Actually the Dogs thought was pretty funny too.. ! could be onto something here..

Edited by Robin R Probyn