Bill DiPietra

Kodak NYC Lab???

I would have been there as well but I had a previous engagement that I could not cancel. In any case, thanks for the review. It doesn't seem to make much sense that they won't process 7222. If you're going to set up a film lab, at least set it up to process all of your 16/35 negative stocks.

If I need to process some 7222, I'll just send the entire order to Fotokem. And I live in Queens!

That's odd, I was thinking this lab would also support the super 8 program. All of that has been slated to go off in May, with film processing and scanning packages.

Sorry if anyone sees this and hopes for news :D

Does anyone know where the lab is at in terms of progress? Compared to April, close to operational? not yet? an ETA? Didn't hear anything aside from here and Anne Hubbell at Kodak telling me early March it was going to be operational later March, which is not the case.

Might shoot in the summer near NYC, on 35mm, and the lack of information is not great.

They are open it just has not been officially announced. I have already scanned a few jobs processed there

Spielberg production starts shooting end of May along with a HBO Series all shooting in 35mm.

To dig up an old thread a bit... Kodak NYC lab is now processing (ONLY) Super 8 color neg in addition to the 16mm & 35mm they were processing before. No scans available for S8 unfortunately. $25/cart.

No comment on when or if E6 or B&W processing will ever come to the lab.

You just have to email them. Kodak is sadly a very slow moving company still so updates to the website will probably be a while. But if you email he's quick to reply with details.

Thanks Nick! Does anyone know how the quality compares to Cinelab?

Cinelab is great, haven't had any issues with super 8 or 16mm work from them.

$25 for a S8 ECN cart seems a bit expensive but I suppose a NYC premium is due, wonder if they will want to run S8 in the 100ft/min Photomec when they are running a 35mm Spielberg show?

Cinelab has a dedicated Allen processor for S8mm ECN and five processors overall for each process.

We are close to being ready to run E6 Ektachrome! in 8mm 16mm and 35mm.

• Upvote 3

Considering Succession, A Quiet Place, The Post and The Irishman (among others) have used the NYC lab, i'm pretty sure the quality is top notch :D

Just let to let everyone know all of these new Kodak Labs will only be processing colour neg .

Gah! What a shame. They better be delivering a good product for $25/roll and such a small specialty. I'll stick to Cinelab.

Edited by Aaron Razi

Gah! What a shame. They better be delivering a good product for $25/roll and such a small specialty. I'll stick to Cinelab.

Kodak isn't in the processing business to kill other good labs...they just want to make sure their big pro customers have access to labs close to the action for 16 & 35mm negative. That's why the Atlanta Kodak lab isn't doing Super 8 or Regular 8 or B&W or any specialty stocks; it's there to support The Walking Dead and everything else is just gravy.

I will say that the Atlanta lab rocks and those guys love film as much as us or more and have a top notch operation. Plus really cool Kodak film boxes now.

Super glad that labs like Cinelab are still around for ALL kinds of stock however. They are keeping film alive.

• Upvote 2

Kodak isn't in the processing business to kill other good labs...they just want to make sure their big pro customers have access to labs close to the action for 16 & 35mm negative. That's why the Atlanta Kodak lab isn't doing Super 8 or Regular 8 or B&W or any specialty stocks; it's there to support The Walking Dead and everything else is just gravy.

This isn't entirely true... All I can say in public is that Kodak isn't the bad guy, they are absolutely trying to do everything in their power to make things right. However, they do turn a blind eye to what's going on behind the scenes.

Kodak lab process super 8 in a 50 ft per minute photmec machine not 100 ft per minute.

Still a machine for 35mm primarily and we have a 100ft/min Photomec I am not sure I would want to run 8mm on, same basic design and machine.

The Allen 16mm / 8mm machine we have dedicated to 8mm ECN right now and 16/35 ECN goes on the Photomec.

• Upvote 1