Suggestions for Dual Link Recorder

rob spence

• Premium Member

Well, the camera is a 1080p camera, so the capturing format is the same "resolution" as the camera head.

I believe you're referring to color space and bit depth. Yes, the F3 does have HDSDI output for 444 capture, but the camera itself is 10 bit 422. It's one of the big "whoops" moments when designing that camera. So all you need is a single HDSDI or even HDMI output to give you the 1.5G HDSDI 10 bit 4:2:2 signal for capturing.

The F3 also doesn't do slow-mo on the HDSDI output. Slow-mo is done internally through the MPEG capture only. So the HDSDI output is limited to 30fps in 1080p mode and 60fps in 720p mode.

Atomos Ninja 2 is $295 and captures HDMI output. However, I believe the HDMI output of the F3 is 8 bit 4:2:0, but not 100% on that. If it's 10 bit 4:2:2, that's a great option. To capture the HDSDI output, the Samurai Blade $495, should work fine, as long as the single port 1.5G HDSDI does it's job properly.

• Premium Member

Yep. You can absolutely do 1080p50/60 over a single 3G-SDI (if you have the 4:4:4 upgrade), or via dual-link if you don't.

You just have to have your SDI outputs setup accordingly, and then select 1080 50i/60i as your internal recording format (this will enable a progressive 50/60p feed out of the A and B SDI ports.

Works a treat with the Odyssey7Q.

Thanks for the info Mark....it adds another string to the bow. I'll have to rent an Odyssey for the project...talking of the 444 upgrade do you know if it allows you to use a viewing LUT when using s-log and, if so, does that need to use dual link?

• Premium Member

Rob, I believe the 4:4:4 upgrade does open up some kind of LUT option on the camera, but I've never touched it myself.

One of my favourite features of the Odyssey is specifically its LUT capabilities. I've paired my F3 with both the Odyssey and the Gratical Eye for that reason - I get full LUT and monitoring capabilities on both my EVF and the onboard monitor. The combination really does bring the camera into the 21st century.

Hi Mark, I use the Samurai blade at the moment...which has the upgrade so you get s-log 2 and 3 viewing capabilities ... but not S-log itself (unfortunately). I use this as an evf and have adapted a SmallHD loupe to fit it. It works well for HD...but the viewing for Slog is a bit of an issue...plus the slo-mo, of course. Your combo sounds a very useful solution. What I'd really like though is a 5inch version of the Odyssey so I can use it as an evf too , like I use my Blade...is thee such a thing?

• Premium Member

Rob, the issue is how the F3 outputs its high frame rate stuff. Some cameras use their SDI ports to output proprietary data formats that need specific support from the recorder.

Googling around, it seems that you can get conventional, standard 60p 4:2:2 out of the 3-gigabit SDI if it's had the 4:4:4 upgrade. This ought to be recordable on almost any modern recorder, although it's not something I've ever done with an F3 and you should test before relying on this information. If you're anywhere near at any point, I have a Shogun you could try it on.

P

• Premium Member

Without the 4:4:4 upgrade, you just set the camera to 50i/60i and the Odyssey can take a dual link feed from the A and B ports to give you proper 1080 50p/60p.

The most complex part of it is really just wading your way through the F3's menus to change the recording format.