Local 600 forcing me to join after Industry Experience Roster placement.

Hey gang, I recently decided to file a bunch of non-union days to join the industry experience roster and it took a few months but I got on it. Well a week later received a letter from Local 600 new membership saying that in order to remain on the Industry Experience Roster I must meet a financial obligation to Local 600 and that my financial obligation will continue to accrue from the date of this notice.

They are asking for quite a lot of money in terms of down payments and monthly dues. I'm not ready to join the union yet as I don't work union shows at all, but just wanted to get on the Industry Experience Roster in case a union offers came by I would be ready to join 600 and not have to deal with the lengthy process of getting on the roster.

Anyways, they seem very pushy from this letter, even saying that if I don't join right away and star paying the due that I will be removed from the Roster within the next month.

Has anyone here dealt with this situation before? And how did you handle it? It would be unfortunate to be removed from the roster, but it would also be pretty dumb for me to pay so much money to join the union when they won't be help me find union work and all the work I'm currently doing is non-union.

Local 600 do not administer the IER, and they have no power to remove you from it. Call membership services at the local and explain that you do not wish to join at present, and they will leave you alone. Make sure you do your safety classes, or Contract Services will suspend you from the roster.

Local 600 do not administer the IER, and they have no power to remove you from it. Call membership services at the local and explain that you do not wish to join at present, and they will leave you alone. Make sure you do your safety classes, or Contract Services will suspend you from the roster.

Thanks for the reply. And yes, I've completed half of the required safety classes already well ahead of the time limit I have to do them all, it just seems really weird receiving this letter from 600 and feeling pressured like this join so quickly. The IER has not mentioned anything about this nor did they bring anything like this up when they sent the letter saying I had been placed on the roster. This is all coming from 600, not IER.