16mm Camera Question

Chris Magdalenski

Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question in regards to shooting 16mm as I have pretty much no experience doing it, though it's something I wouldn't mind trying even if it cost some $$$.

I picked up an old Keystone A-12 at an estate sale for $20 and was having trouble finding any information on it. Specifically, was wondering if it took single or double perf film. From my eyes it looks to be single perf, as I can only see sprockets on one side of the guide reel, but just wanted confirmation from those more experienced in this.

Chris

post-41203-0-01005400-1475498542_thumb.jpg

post-41203-0-47431100-1475498588_thumb.jpg

post-41203-0-80121300-1475498643_thumb.jpg

The large sprocket wheel has just one row of teeth which makes it okay for single perf film, these cameras have just one claw so you'll be okay with virtually any 16mm film-stock. If you want you can buy some single perf leader and run it through.

Pav

For a running test with film material (without expose some material) you need also a second daylight spool.

So the easiest way is to buy some really old and cheap 16mm 100ft daylight spool stock (spool plus stock) on ebay. Does not matter what stock, because you only make with it a running test and you learn to load material with it.

Then you need a changing bag. There are also some cheap ones. They will fit. I would not load in semi light. Some others do that, but this can always be a bit risky. Learn it with the testing material, also in the bag.

And then you need an exposure meter.

And then you can film...

It is very easy to handle this camera. I never had one in my hand, but it looks totally easy. It is a bit like a Krasnogorsk.

Maybe you will find there a manual. If not, contact me.

You also can pm me, then I give you my mailaddress and then you send me your pictures of the camera and also a good one of the lens (scales) and then I can write you a short manual in a file and maybe make a short drawing in the pictures, if you want.

But this will take me maybe two or three weeks, because I am travelling at the moment.