Lighting a car at night

mal

hello all,

I am a film student and am shooting my thesis film shortly. I am going to be shooting most of it in a car and have never done anything like that before. I am not too worried about shooting during the day time. Thinking about NDing the windows I am pointed at. Anyway, a lot of it takes place at night and I want it to be visible and look good and I don't want the steering wheel to be blown out by the kino hidden there. So basically I am asking for ideas on how to approach this. Also, any creative ideas about securing little generators or something for power while the car is in tow? All insight is welcome. Thank you.

• Premium Member
hello all,

I am a film student and am shooting my thesis film shortly.  I am going to be shooting most of it in a car and have never done anything like that before.  I am not too worried about shooting during the day time.  Thinking about NDing the windows I am pointed at.  Anyway, a lot of it takes place at night and I want it to be visible and look good and I don't want the steering wheel to be blown out by the kino hidden there.  So basically I am asking for ideas on how to approach this.  Also, any creative ideas about securing little generators or something for power while the car is in tow?  All insight is welcome.  Thank you.

12v rope light:

https://ssl.adhost.com/noveltylights/mercha...?pid=262&step=4

Guest rajavel

hi

why dont u take an inverter with u. all u need is a car battery from which u can take power from and invert it thro the inverter to make even a 4 bank kino glow for hours together. take a spare battery along. this thing doesnt need much space at all.

and for the ligting concerned...u can use a 2ft or 4 ft single bank kino and use chart paper to cut light wherever not needed and diffuse the light to avoid looking lit.

or try the fluorescent night glow stickers on the dash board and above like they tried in the 'collateral' tom cruise film. but they were made to order....

cheers!

raj

• Premium Member

One thing that really helps with realism for night car shoots is rain. Your story may not call for it but it really adds dimension and depth. Especially when you light through the rainy window from outside. You get an interesting water pattern on their face.

One thing that really helps with realism for night car shoots is rain. Your story may not call for it but it really adds dimension and depth. Especially when you light through the rainy window from outside. You get an interesting water pattern on their face.

Trust me...if I could make it rain I would. Sadly I live in FL where it only rains for 20 min in the summer if at all. Thanks for the tip though.

hi

why dont u take an inverter with u. all u need is a car battery from which u can take power from and invert it thro the inverter to make even a 4 bank kino glow for hours together. take a spare battery along. this thing doesnt need much space at all.

and for the ligting concerned...u can use a 2ft or 4 ft single bank kino and use chart paper to cut light wherever not needed and diffuse the light to avoid looking lit.

or try the fluorescent night glow stickers on the dash board and above like they tried in the 'collateral' tom cruise film. but they were made to order....

cheers!

raj

The inverter is what I am thinking that I am going to have to do. I have 2 par cans and a 4 bank kino and don't know how many inverter's I would need to run at least 1 par can (for the background) and the 4 bank. I was thinking about getting a suitcase generator but I can't find one in this area. My other challenge is securing a 4 bank onto the truck so that it doesn't fall off at 50 miles per hour...

Where does one even get something similar to the night glow stickers?

Thanks for your insight, you have been helpfull.

Guest rajavel

u might not need a full 4 bank i think. just one bulb of the kino would do. have a 4feet or two feet bulb and u have the choice to put the intensity on 2 ft or 4ft. loosen one bulb out of the bunch and fix it inside the car. just tie it over...it will hang on there like a bat! cheers!

raj