Ditty bag / AC Bags

I started out using a Husky open top tool tote from home depot

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-17-in-Open-Tool-Tote-with-Rotating-Handle-GP-44118AN13/204703616

It served me well for awhile, but eventually I wanted something more rugged and weatherproof, at which point I upgraded to a Modular 51 small set bag. It allowed me to carry most of what I needed, and served me well for a long time. It's held up to a ton of abuse, and holds the basics. It appears as though Modular 51 is out of business, however similar bags can be purchased from fikenca.com

Eventually, I found myself on a show that put us in the rain and mud a lot, so I opted to go full on with a Pelican 1510 case with trekpak dividers. This is my current setup and I like it, however it doesn't offer much room for expansion. It does, however, keep everything nice and dry and protected.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used to have a Stanley bag: http://www.stanleyimages.co.uk/CatalogImages//7055_prev.jpg

Worked great to start out with But could get unorganized pretty quick.

Nowadays I have a large arri floor bag on the mag liner and a small arri unit bag as ditty. A bit costly compared to the Stanley but I really like it, and its weatherproof!

Pelican 1510 with trekpak and a lid organizer is what I decided on.....I much prefer it over having to carry a bag everywhere. Also feel like its looks a bit better (IMO). Trekpak is a must have (again IMO) and allows you to make the most of the space you do have. Don't know many people who need more room in their kit than that.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Pelican 1510 with trekpak and a lid organizer is what I decided on.....I much prefer it over having to carry a bag everywhere. Also feel like its looks a bit better (IMO). Trekpak is a must have (again IMO) and allows you to make the most of the space you do have. Don't know many people who need more room in their kit than that.

I went to a pelican case two seasons ago. It's been great. I find that if you're using clip-on 4x5 matte boxes and filters, you can get away with it. However, I find it too small when dealing with 6x6 filters and studio matte boxes/hard mattes/eyebrows. Also, it doesn't offer much room for expansion, say for instance if you need to remove an onboard monitor and stash it.

I carried the following in my 1510/trekpack for 2 seasons of a show.

Can of air

4x5 ND .3, .6, .9, 1.2, 1.5, 1.8

4x5 rotating polarizer tray

4x5 flat

(1) Dionic HCX

Small pelican with SxS cards

Heden Motor, microforce, cable

Pancro

Alexa Mini EVF

LMB-25 eyebrow and hard mattes

Camera reports (in lid)

Spare slate pen, eyepiece chamois, crescent wrench, stubby screwdriver (in lid)

I had enough room leftover to be able to keep the Denecke timecode slate in the lid as well.

It was great having a waterproof case that I could sit on, set the camera on, etc. I also put velcro on the outside for my tape mark board.

• 1 month later...

I started out with the rolling Husky. It was fine. I got scoffed at by all the guys who have $250 ARRI bags and carts. Most of the work I do is too small and mobile to require a cart.

When I wanted to upgrade, I looked long and hard for something else. I loved the rolling bag, but the Husky pockets really weren't suited for the type of tools I carry.

Then I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BD5IC2O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
71VxV1fBTaL._SL1500_.jpg

Its a Range bag for carrying your firearm bits and tools. I've had it a little under a year and it suits VERY well. The pockets are all well sized for carrying cable coils, markers, allen wrenches, etc. It was only $100