Westworld

Let's see how the first 10 episodes do. I think they have lots of material to work with. It is a very solid idea. Much like Battle Star Galactica, it expores what it is to be human. Looks great. In Crichton's film Yule Brinners gazes and silence are very compelling. I think his role alone carried that movie. HBO's cast is stellar. Let's see what they do.

The pilot is great, plenty of possibilities. Looks gorgeous too, shot on film entirely, huge production values, there's an online exclusive in this month's AC issue, it says David Mullen also did some additional photography on it.

Jonathan Nolan says they have a plan for 5 seasons approximately.

Edited by Manu Delpech

• Premium Member

I love the locations, most of which are here in L.A. It's also nice to see Jonathan following his brother and shooting the show on 35mm.

So far, I'm not too impressed with the story. I thought the first episode seemed a little bit weak. They spent too much time trying to tell you everything and not enough time letting the audience explore with the characters. It would have been a lot better had the first episode not explained everything and wrapped it up in a tight bow.

Other then that, it was shot well and plenty entertaining.

• Premium Member

So far, I'm not too impressed with the story. I thought the first episode seemed a little bit weak. They spent too much time trying to tell you everything and not enough time letting the audience explore with the characters. It would have been a lot better had the first episode not explained everything and wrapped it up in a tight bow.

I'd have to agree but I'll give it some time to develop. I too watched Michael Crichton's 1973 film and I thought it could have been far better. Conceptually, I'm sure the show will be going more in the direction of Blade Runner - self-awareness, existence, etc. How effective it will be is another story.

The use of the fly was a little too obvious.... From ep. 1, you just know that the decommissioned host that woke himself up and later zipped himself back in the body bag will play a pivotal role when things turn bad.

Edited by JD Hartman

I thought the show is digital, but the pix in AC show otherwise.
My assumption had nothing to do with observation, just "logic" - most shows now are digital.

I am about to watch the 1973 film. I hope it would not be a big spoiler for the upcoming episodes.... :)

• Premium Member

Second Episode started the season plot, which is nice to see.

After reading the AC article, the show gets more credit production wise. A lot of what I think is a visual effect, is actually clever lighting techniques that look strange, but are done in camera. There is still a lot of compositing work in the show, but it's only when necessary.

Can't wait for next weeks show! :)

• Premium Member

I'd have to see a frame to make a guess. Were there electronic infrared video cameras back then? If so, then they could have just rephotographed the video monitor. Or it could have been faked. Of course there was infrared film back then but not the type that sees people through walls, turns them into glowing heat shapes, etc.

I wondered if was anything other than shooting it off of a screen. Pretty cool to see an early example of scanning and film output.

I would post a photo, but can't figure out how. I have posted pictures before, but can't remember. It is not that easy on this site.

With the third episode it only gets better. In respect to the first film I have a question. The Gunslinger / Android infrared vision, how would that have been achieved in the early 1970s?

That was the first use of CGI in film too, "fun fact"

• 1 month later...

What are peoples thoughts on the series so far? With the final episode tonight, how do people feel since we started this thread? My expectations were exceeded. Lots of stuff going on with this show on many levels. It smacks of several other sci-fi series including a little of the Prisoner. (the control room)